No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Now I know - they are Italian  (Read 3248 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Now I know - they are Italian
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:00:22 AM »
So these are Italian after all!!

I know, you all knew that anyway, but here is irrefutable proof ref a label.

The vase is 20” in height and has a subtle spiral moulding to it, white twisting stripe.

I have seen loads of these and thought mmmm – but this has a G Hardy label on it, one I have not seen before saying ‘Italian Art Glass’ – not Venetian …

My dealer has loads of these in different colours and shapes - he has a decanter (cracked) with a different importers label on – looks like Seguso but without the apostrophes to Italy.

So knowing bit of the G Hardy history I would say this is 1960s / 70s but who by and is it Murano?

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
Some more vases with stripes, courtesy of my local dealer

This is my original vase with G Hardy ‘Italian Art Glass’ label in blue and gold.

Here is a group of same 20” high vases in other colour ways – same finishing to base (there is also a deep green and olive shade).

This is a decanter tall, I am sure that it is of the manufacturer – base is the same. Label to bottom in red and gold is an importer label other than G Hardy – also note the clear glass showing between spiral stripes – this along with label could indicate a different maker?

This is a cylindrical vase in olive – I think it was about 16” high.

This vase was seen on eBay I think – it is a lovely form and colour. see also http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/44/e4/96_1_b.JPG

This is a stemmed vase – over 20” – ribbed moulding

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:25:49 PM »
I would not go along with the concept that all glass with white spirals is Italian. Similar items have been made in the Zwiesel area, and I think the probability that white spiralware has been discovered by the Swedes is very high.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »
I agree Ivo

There are many spiral moulded pieces with a banded white stripe that are indeed not Italian.

I chose the group of three coloured vases as they are identical to mine (bought from same shop). Two of these have G Hardy 'Italian Art Glass' stickers on - so I assume these are Italian, and the same maker as my piece.

The decanter has a red/gold made in Italy sticker to base

I feel the cylindrical vase in olive, and the green shaped vase are Italian as they have been seen with G hardy Italian sticker on - see  http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/44/e4/96_1_b.JPG

The vase with stem, I chose for the stripe, I only saw while editing it had a ribbed moulding - I am open about this one.

I am glad you have come in on this Ivo as you know a lot about Italian glass. The G Hardy vases with Italian label (two shapes) - and the decanter (one shape), are they likely to be an Empoli based company and which one?

Empoli has been suggested in the thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2268.0.html - the name Alrose has also come up, but some of us tend to think that is another importer of these wares.

Any help appreciated.

Adam P

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Now I know - they are Italian
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
The "Hardy" label is now known to be Hans Geismar, not George Hardy.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand