No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rectangular clear vase with cut decoration -- Czech?  (Read 847 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Rectangular clear vase with cut decoration -- Czech?
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
Need help please with ID of this vase:

I suppose lead cristal (very clear and heavy), square base 5.5 x 5.5 cm, height 22 cm.
IMHO high quality cutting -- all edges nicely bevelled, beautifully finished base and rim.

My guess would be Czech (Podebrady); the base and quality look very similar to my Svarc vase with air rings.
But there are nice cut pieces from Germany and other countries as well, so...

Any input very welcome!

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Rectangular clear vase with cut decoration -- Czech?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
That really is a beautiful vase, Michael... and its beauty is surely intensified when the sun's rays falls upon it. 
I am jealous.

P.S. My first impression is Podebrady as well, though I don't recall seeing it in the CGR.  May you take one more picture (a very close close-up) of one of the flowers?  I'd like to see the center of the flower, and the petal in detail. Please. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks a lot for your answer, Anik!!

As it is already dark I couldn't make a new pic, but I enlarged 2 details from the overall pics...
Unfortunately the decoration can't be seen very clearly, but I hope it helps a little.

There are 2 flowers engraved on opposite edges of the vase in the upper part, and 2 in the lower part. On each edge is a cut-out lens as well (2 towards the top, 2 towards the bottom, quite obvious in the pic).

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
Thank you, Michael.  Could you tell me if the center of the flower has been cut, or is it a 'natural' space formed by the cut petals? 

P.S. My apologies for the silly grammar error in my original post. Rays fall, not falls...   :usd:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
Hi Anik,
the center of the flower is cut (2 vertical cuts I think).

The whole flower resembles a stylized cornflower I would say...

Thanks for your help!
Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
Oooh, beautiful. That's the sort of vase I would buy in a heartbeat if I came across it (well, if it was affordable, of course). Whatever and whenever it turns out to be, it's worth having. I can see the Svarc and Podebrady angle/influence here (though I'm afraid I haven't come across it so far, and can't contribute in a meaningful way - sorry).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »
Thanks a lot for your contribution, Astrid! :)
It is indeed a very nice vase, and I am sure you would have gladly bought it as well for the prize I paid...

If you compare it to your German and Czech cut pieces -- would you lean towards Czech origin as well?

BTW, I have a quite special Riedel vase in my collection which I have to show you eventually -- I am sure you would like it!

@Anik: I gave a wrong description yesterday of the centers of the flowers: they are actually small cut out lenses (across the edge of course).

Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »
I'm not sure - I'm just speculating. That sort of deep cutting (intaglio?) of square vases I remember already seeing in the Art Nouveau period (from companies like Moser and Harrachov). It looks like it sort of follows that tradition, but at a later date. Czech would be my first guess, because of the Svarc impression I get from it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be German, Austrian or French even. The base and the opening for the flower look very German for instance.

If it's definitely handcut but relatively modern, I would tend to think it's Czech (or another country were the wages are relatively modest). If it's not handcut but industrially produced it could be French. Like Ivo remarked in another thread, companies like Crystal d'Arques are very good at producing machine made goodlooking vases that look nearly handcut.

And just put your beautiful Riedel vase in the country appropriate discussion forum, Michael, and I'll gladly have a look!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Thanks, Astrid! Definately handcut :)

I did a little research on Jindrich's site, had a look through the Podebrady (Bohemia Crystal) catalogues, and found several items which have engravings of stylized flowers similar to the ones on my vase -- broader petals alternating with three-branched motives:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/BOHEMIAPODEBRADY?authkey=Gv1sRgCNeJ8OfGw6yklwE#5435534785281714482
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/BOHEMIAPODEBRADY?authkey=Gv1sRgCNeJ8OfGw6yklwE#5435534926138210018
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/BohemiaCrystal1989?authkey=Gv1sRgCPuq1qDZkILX7QE#5455577835448852642

And comparing the bottom- and rim finish of the vase in question to my Svarc air-rings vase (which dates from 1968 I think) they are almost identical...

PS: I will post the Riedel vase later in the Bohemia/Czech/Austria sub-forum!

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand