No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Maltese Glass - Mdina/Michael Harris?  (Read 22464 times)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: Mystery Maltese Glass - Mdina/Michael Harris?
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
The one I got first, off ebay is not cobalt (left hand vase) but the one I bought at the National is (right hand vase).  I can't recall if you were at that National and saw it or not.

Suzy xxx

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
Was that the one where you had cleared Michelle Guzy's stand before Christine and I even got there?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »
Oh yes - it was that one.  It was get in there quick or go home empty handed! 

Suzy xxx

Offline goyjus

• Members
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
The colours of the picture of the vase on the right look very similar to mine (pictures posted at start of thread). Should there be much discernible difference between a manganese and cobalt blue? Not very well versed in these things...
Many thanks, Anthony

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
Goyjus - I'm quite happy to bring both of my Almosts to the National this November if you are taking your glorious Inside Out along for a 'Show and Tell'.  It would be lovely to see it for real and compare the colours.  It's fascinating to see the various hues next to each other. 

Bradbury - Is there any chance of getting the 3 Almosts in one place at the same time at the National?

Suzy xxx

Offline goyjus

• Members
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Suzy - I will definitely try. Will post nearer the time to confirm. I've never been so would certainly be an interesting experience.
Many thanks, Anthony

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
 :tof:I think i might well go this time i chickened out last year at the last moment was a bit skint but i will bring it along for a bit of ill show you mine if you show me yours lol as long as nobody looks at me strange for getting it out and salivating but i agree i think the event sounds the works and regretted missing it last year!
And maybe if i get there early i might get a bit glass before suzygpr dan ... :hi:

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 07:25:47 AM »
Oh great - I love the National, total indulgence with lots of interesting glass and people. 

Give me a prod beforehand as my memory is shockingly poor.  Show and tell over a cuppa after scouring the stalls is always a fun part of the day.  All the visitiing Harrisophiles will all go Ooooohhh! Aahhhh! Lovely! over a decent bit of Mdina, so it will be a treat for all of us to see the pieces in this thread.

Suzy xxx

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
Just to add a little to this thread, interestingly, there was a Mdina chalice that recently sold, which was signed and dated "Mdina Glass 1974 Betty"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270965241542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

The name reminded me of the piece at the beginning of this thread which was signed ''From Mike, Betty, Timothy and Jonathan''

Given the date of 1974 I guess ''Betty'' therefore wouldn't have been an alternative name for Elizabeth. Certainly interesting to see this name crop up twice, I guess Betty must have been an early employee who also occasionally helped out with tasks like signing etc.

Offline goyjus

• Members
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
Many thanks for your post, Greg.

Not sure who the Betty is on the eBay chalice. But my piece has been confirmed as being by Michael Harris by several expert sources.

I would have thought it was highly unlikely that Michael Harris would have been signing a personal gift, along with his two sons, and some random 'Betty' that worked in the factory.

I wonder who the mystery 'Betty' can be..........................
Many thanks, Anthony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand