No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone identify how old this is? Any help is appreciated  (Read 842 times)

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
Can anyone identify how old this is? Any help is appreciated
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
Hello, I picked this up for a pound or two in a charity shop ages ago, and its sat on a shelf since. I dont think its worth anything at all, as its so scratched and has a few chips, but it is big (6" across and 7" high) and I'm fascinated to know how old it is - possibly about 1850 or 60? Does anyone have another opinion?
I'm always unreasonably pleased to buy things like this for pennies.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Can anyone identify how old this is? Any help is appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Okay I'll have a guess. Comparing it to the Manchester pressed glass registrations, there is a lot abot this which suggests the 1865-1870 period. I wouldn't think it was any earlier than that, though it may be a bit later. The foot and stem look quite like various 1860s pieces I have. The style of the top ridge is more prevalent in this period, scalloped edges became a bit more popular post 1865, but you will still see that style of ridging throughout the latter 19th century so it's not conclusive.

The vertical ridging on the body is similar to a goblet registered by Percival Vickers in 1870 (not saying it's by P&V... only that such a style was in use at that time).

The one oddity though is the shape of the body, which does not match any registered Manchester pieces I have seen, so perhaps there is still room for interpretation in the dating if anyone else wants to have a stab at it...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
Re: Can anyone identify how old this is? Any help is appreciated
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
Thank you, I have a lead to do some research on now - funnily enough, it was bought in a Manchester charity shop.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand