No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royo Blue glass enameled elephant  (Read 2519 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Royo Blue glass enameled elephant
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »
 ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
I got this one at a weekly auction in Hartselle Alabama. To my eye the enameling seems inferior. I have seen so many fakes of other things lately is sure would seem somebody is up to something if that many of these surface at the same time. But then maybe someone found a stash. Does anyone know if the oldest Royo are better quaity enameling?

I sure thank you for all your help. The feet under this one look just like the ones others have shared on this thread.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »
I can't remember where I read it now, but Royo worked into the 80s. That the enamel work is inferior indicates that there is a good chance it was Royo. Enamel on his pieces are thinner and generally less attractive than the ones decorated by Genis Cirera. I have the feeling that Royo was a bit younger than Cirera and that both did the bulk of their work in Barcelona using blanks bought from Gordiola. It is difficult to find any information on Royo, however, so I am just guessing based on when they stopped making glass.

It is apparent that the elephant is molded. It may be that the mold was copied by Stiver or sold to Stiver. The color of the elephant looks very much like Gordiola. I have seen a few other molds pass around the European countries, so it wouldn't be unusual for both places to have the same design.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
Additional info: gordiola never did pressed glass, stiver produced every conceivable glass colour. The mystery of Royo is still unsolved...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:10:29 PM »
The links that Rosie gave above give "1920s" probably only as a continuation of an idea that Moser were somehow involved. The Invaluable page has, in the description: "... attributed to Moser who produced designs for the Spanish market in the 1920s." And I suspect the eBay listing simply uses a similar assumption that has become well engrained over the years.
KevinH

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
The links that Rosie gave above give "1920s" probably only as a continuation of an idea that Moser were somehow involved. The Invaluable page has, in the description: "... attributed to Moser who produced designs for the Spanish market in the 1920s." And I suspect the eBay listing simply uses a similar assumption that has become well engrained over the years.

A bit like my Chinese birds being described as Murano. :grrr:
I hate urban myths, and now I feel badly that I might has just inadvertantly perpetuated one.....sorry. :pb:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
You are in good company, Rosie. Gary Baldwin's books on Moser glass have probably been the biggest thing promoting that these were probably made by Moser in the 1920s for the Spanish marketplace. Whoever came up with that idea, I don't know. It was easily debunked by just asking Moser. They may not have had the ease of access when Baldwin was writing his books. I am sorry that these things get put down in print. Many people on eBay still list them as Moser.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Thank you so much for all your help.  :hiclp: :rah:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk