No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French or Austrian Art Nouveau Vase? Or more recent Studio Glass?  (Read 542 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
I'm hoping someone out there can help me to identify this piece.  The signature appears to be acid etched and in the style of something from the early 20th C., maybe French or Austrian.  Last 4 letters appear to be "terrein" or "terreir" (the rest is indecipherable), but the smoke glass color to my eye seems more reminiscent of the 1960s/1970s.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Charles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bablo

• Members
    • glass-wiki.net
Re: French or Austrian Art Nouveau Vase? Or more recent Studio Glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »
The signature seems to be something like "Fonterreir" . Sounds French. However, I googled it with no results.

The decoration doesn't look like any french art nouveau, that I know of. I believe the white decorations are painted? Painted, transparent glass is very atypical of the art nouveau period.

Smoke colored glass was used in early 20th century, for example by Daum and Schneider, but was usually sand blasted with art deco patterns. It was also more brownish than this vase, which has a more greenish teint.

I'd go for the 60s 70s art glass option.

\bablo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
I don't think the white is painted on  -  the reflection/glare seems to indicate that the top surface is glass all over.    There is a word Monterrein, which I think might be French, although don't think this has anything to do with this piece.     How about an Italian origin??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »
Not painted on. I wish there were some advanced Google search capability that allowed for searching using second half of a word! What makes me think its old, more than anything, is style of signature and fact it's acid etched.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand