No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible hollow stemmed ale rummer?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible hollow stemmed ale rummer?
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
I see these hollow stemmed drinking glasses rarely - at least where I go shopping - but do have two, both of which are more delicate than this example, and with bowls that are smaller and far more shallow, and which are almost certainly for champagne.     This one is more like a pub rummer from the middle of the C19, and is unusual with this octagonal foot, which is mainly flat as shown in the picture - the ground/polished pontil being level with the main outer part of the foot, and showing a fair amount of wear.   One or two very small seeds, plenty of small bubbles, and a good 'ding' when flicked - so probably a good lead content - and showing plenty of horizontal lines towards the rim.    Does anyone know if ale rummers were made with hollow feet  -  or is this not an ale glass - and what about my suggestion of date??     Maybe eight sided feet are Continental?    All replies welcome, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: possible hollow stemmed ale rummer?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
sorry  - height is about 5.25"/130mm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
hollow stems are used for taking up deposit. In the case of hollow stemmed champagnes, these usually are by Villeroy & Boch atound the end of the 19th ct. I have not seen the large variant you present here - could be for something light and unfiltered like beer or cider.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
thanks Ivo  -  and you may well be correct with your suggestion of beer or cider - the bowl on this example looks far to uncouth for champers - but I hadn't realized that the hollow stem was created especially to accommodate the deposits/dregs of champagne.    This bowl certainly has the look of a pub rummer from the latter part of the C19.  I can remember (oh, not so long ago ;)) when cheap bitter in British pubs produced a fair amount of unfiltered dregs which remained at the bottom of the glass - I think it cost something like eleven pennies for a half pint.
Ref. my comments about octagonal shaped feet  -  I can now say that apparently S. & W. did produce eight sided feet on some drinking glasses, although that was presumably much earlier in the C20.
Ref. 'The Crystal Years'  -  R. S. Williams-Thomas  -  1983 (page 57)

Offline ipdglasspolishing

• Members
    • C18th / 19th century glass
    • UK.
    • ians-polishing-kits
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
imho. i believe the foot was cut down because of damage, I do not think it was original. The look of the metal certainly indicates early production.  :thup:
Ian

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:02:49 PM »
would agree there is a high probability you're correct - I've seen shed loads of pub type rummers etc. and from memory they've all had round feet.   I've just measured across the four pairs of flats, and there is less than one millimetre's variation, so assuming this was a post production job then obviously done quite accurately - but it's noticable that the flats are not bevelled.       I have a feeling that the slight mistiness of the bowl may indicate some very minor glass sickness, as I did try cleaning with metal polish but the cloudy effect remains (I forget exactly the cause -  is it too high an alkali content and too little lime, possibly - must have been one of George's off days ;))    However, an interesting drinking glass, and will stay with me :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand