No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: has anyone heard of a Glass maker called Dave Hobart? c.early 1970's please  (Read 1441 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Looking for some info on this glassmaker please.  I bought a very nice piece of glass signed by him but can't find any info at the mo.
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Images of said vase...I love this vase...it reminds me of a Michael Harris Fish vase slightly.  Dated Nov 74, so possibly been influenced by.
Blown from the top and has a cut and polished rim.  The 'straps' are on both side and go under the base across the middle of the base.
Colouring and inclusions effect are gorgeous.
About 6 1/2" wide (16cm) by 5 1/4" tall (13m)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It strikes me it's very sophisticated for '74 - I think I'd be looking to america or the antipodes to start with.
I've gone through the index of my "American Studio Glass 1960-1990" but his name isn't there - this doesn't mean it's not in the book - I've already discovered Wayne Filan is written about in the main text, but he's not in the index.

Why do so many great books have lousy indices???? :grrr:

I find the vase slightly sinister! It reminds me of trussed up mummies or something a bit insecty (lousy!) under a microscope.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
you are way ahead of me Sue in the collecting stakes ..and thank you for looking - I don't have that book.  The guy I bought it from said America had been suggested, so I was thinking that's a possible and of course, the very word Hobart made me think Australia, Herman studio/student, but I've not managed to unearth anything so far.
Also the signature is really nicely done, I have to say possibly one of the best engraved sigs I've seen (obviously not including M.Harris  ;D )
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
lol, I've just seen your descriptor of my beautiful vase  :24:  very well written but not at all true in the flesh... ;D
I'm now looking at it and seeing a headless armless woman with a shawl over her shoulders  :help:
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
A (-n evil) thought I had when I saw the signature was that it looks very like "normal" legible writing - and with the detail of the day being included, could it possibly have been marked, in a possessive way by the first person who bought it?

This is not unknown - my Mdina tricorn cobalt charger was clearly  :24: signed "R B Joslin, London, 1971".
These scratchings have been professionally removed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
done by a dentist with a diamond point drill  ;D
well, I don't know enough about sig engraving (dremel, diamond point or whatever it may be) to know, but I think it's done properly whoever did it.  It's not a scratched on thing, pretty small, neat and placed well sort of thing.
'nother closer pic of sig. Your thoughts?  Am I wrong?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Maybe it's the open round letters which made me think it's just a bit child-like?????
It just doesn't look like an "official pawmark".

(it evoked the same feeling in me as reading a child-like address, finished with; Europe, Planet Earth, The Solar System, The Universe....")

I may well be completely wrong!
It is, however, a very sophisticed piece for '74 - perhaps it's the mismatch between the sophistication of the piece and the unsophisticated appearance of the signature which is messing with my thinking - which is all just gut stuff.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
You could be right.  Another thought I had was I was wondering if it was a degree piece?  hence the detail in the date? p.s. my photo is hugely enlarged which may be what is making it look so 'round'.  I shall do a pic of the base hopefully showing the sig placement.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
That certainly is another possibility  :hiclp: Good thinking - it certainly would be a good reason for the day to be mentioned - an emerging artist who perhaps hasn't finalised his "pawmark design".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand