No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: has anyone heard of a Glass maker called Dave Hobart? c.early 1970's please  (Read 1444 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
It's lovely isn't it M, I cuddled it before putting it back on the shelf this morning. A lovely tactile well made piece that had me thinking 'dipped wings' from about twenty feet away....

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :24: I've been waiting for you to comment  ;D  I knew you'd have seen it.
It was torrential this morning, and it's the only thing I bought :cry:  I went all round but most people hadn't laid out as it kept tipping down.  If I 'd not seen it I'd have driven home with nothing and I was in two minds about it as I practically couldn't see it it was so covered in water, but the date swung it  :)  Glad you like it.
Sue, I've checked the method of writing with other signed pieces I have and it looks as though it was done with the same implement.  So.... :X: it's a graduation piece or similar.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
I think my feet are still damp.... That was the worst weather I have yet to experience at a flea market. Enjoyed the day though, plenty of sunshine on the way home but only once we had crossed the Severn Bridge. :sun:

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I nearly didn't go, but in the end decided to brave it.  Glad I did as I love the vase.
m

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: has anyone heard of a Glass maker called Dave Hobart? c.early 1970's please
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:31 AM »
Have no one of that name in my list of Australian artists.  The few who were around at that time are generally well known.  My thought was USA/Canada as a first impression.  Whatever it is a very nice object.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 04:37:10 PM »
Came across this vase again looking for another as you do :)

Having re read the thread Sue ... gong for you - I think it's been influenced by a pupa  see here for pictorial evidence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupa

Still looking for Dave Hobart Nov 6th 1974 but Greg may have solved my other mystery!

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 04:58:56 PM »
I saw Greg had come up trumps for you - I never forgot that piece.  ;D
I can't see intagram either.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 10:48:38 PM »
It strikes me it's very sophisticated for '74 - I think I'd be looking to america or the antipodes to start with. ...

I agree.  It's very well and precisely made and the rim finish is good etc.  I love the form and the decor actually.  Just reading about my other vase and read on as you do, on Mark Hill's site.  He shows a number of early Fish vases here
https://markhillpublishing.com/michael-harris-fish-the-earliest-example-yet/
and if you look at the purple and brown one and in your mind, cut off the neck as per mine, it's the same or very similar shape.  Is this a kind of shape that's easy to achieve?  I think the vase appears to be very accomplished.  So who was Dave Hobart (or who was the Dave who was from Hobart/ in Hobart? ) 6th November 1974?  Was he at the RCA maybe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand