No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Striking studio piece. Any ideas?  (Read 647 times)

Offline funkyvintagelover

• Members
Striking studio piece. Any ideas?
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »

Hello again :hi:. Post no 2 so far!  And two in one day, i am getting carried away. ;D

Dark blue glass with overlaid bright yellow trails. Broken pontil to base and yellow glass interior. Very distinctive if you know so does anyone have any clues? Please help. Bought in the UK.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Striking studio piece. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
It's fabulous!
However, I have a suspicion it is brand new and from the far east, probably China.
It's the poorly finished rim, the bubbles in the lining and the crudely finished base that give it away.
I'd very happily give it a home. I think it's wonderful.

Does it have a slightly greasy feel, or a strange, pungent smell?
(not so easy to tell if you've washed it - the leaching can take a little time to appear.)

good grief - forgot to say -  :hi: and welcome to the board  :pb: - and thanks for such good images!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
Hi FVL,  :sun:
I thought Chinese too, for the same reasons as Sue......a lovely collection you have there....good shapes, sizes and colours....are you hooked yet?
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline funkyvintagelover

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:27 AM »
Hi Rosie and Sue.  :hi: Thanks very much for the welcome and the ideas on the glass. I have been collecting for about 15 years and have a ridiculous amount of vintage glass, ceramics, fabrics, art, stuf, stuff and more stuff. Most of my input so far has been on the Pottery and Glass forum as i also have a stupidly large collection of West German pottery but your forum does seem to have many more experts specifically on glass.

I have to agree with you about the vase except that it is absoloutly filthy from (seemingly) years of holding flowers so it just seems a bit odd. Despite this i also think it is fabulous and wil be definitly having space in my colection at home and one day i might learn more.

PS the last picture above is glass that i picked up at 2 local carboot sales in ONE weekend. I was a very happy chappy that weekend  :sun: 

I hope to be posting lots more soon once i get some space sorted out at home. Thanks again, Mark x

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »
"years" of dirt does seem odd - did it clean up easily, though?
I recommend using biological clothes washing liquid for a wee soak - it removes all organic muck.

My OH can produce years of muck in his clothes in one weekend......... ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand