No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bird no. 1  (Read 510 times)

Offline poppyparker

• Members
Bird no. 1
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
This looks like a sea bird of some sort.  I presume it is fairly modern.  It's quite chunky and heavy and I think it would have real trouble flying!

It's 21cm from beak to tail, wingspan of 18.5cm and height is 10cm.  Slightly scratched on the flat base and nicely beveled and was made to be used as a dish of sorts.

Thanks! :sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Bird no. 1
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Hi Poppy,  I am pretty certain this is Princess House Lead Crystal.  I am sure I have seen one with a label.....certainly worth you putting this is the search engine to see.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
Wow! Rosie - you're good.  Just googled it and up it pops!

"Imported in the 1960s from a French crystal maker called Verreries de Vannes for Princess House in America.  Princess House sold quality glass at house parties, much like Tupperware parties."

Thank you!  :kissy:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »
Take a little care Poppy....that site is the one I did my little quiz about the goose from!! 
It may all be totally correct,  but I only know two things....I had a lot of Princess House Crystal at one time, and I am sure I saw one of these birds with a label when I was looking for pieces. 
As far as the French Vannes Crystal is concerned,  I know they do bowl shaped animals as pipe holders,  but I can't vouch for the fact they may or may not have made for Princess House Crystal.  I always thought Princess House Crystal was made in Germany (Bleikristall???) but they may have had their glass pieces made in other places.
Still worth your investigating....don't take the first thing you see as Gospel.....even though it might turn out to be correct!!!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand