No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have you ever seen one of these votives  (Read 851 times)

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
Have you ever seen one of these votives
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
This is a votive candle with inset glass leaves in a metal cornelia sort of work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

:sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Have you ever seen one of these votives
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
Can you add a top view, is the candle holder fixed in or loose?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:58:33 AM »
Thanks Frank,

Yes the votive is fixed in the holder and has sort of a gold antiquing on it. I also noticed a letter on the bottom when I was taking the picture you asked me for. It looks like an L or T.

Thanks
Kathy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:39 AM »
Not so sure that is a letter, possibly a mould mark. Could you take another shot of the base at a lower angle please trying to get the light reflecting to make the mark stand out more. In the first image I had thought the glass stopped halfway down but the new views show it goes to the bottom. The lip on the glass tells me it was made separately and not blown into the metal and I doubt the metal could have been brazed together with the glass in place, but it could have been soldered which would not require as much heat as brazing. It is possible that it is all a marriage, leaves bowl just being put together by the artisan. Africa/India, not necessarily either young or old, springs to mind. Or it could be an older production item with the cage made on a former matching the mould used for the bowl in which case Bohemian is possible.

If it is soldered the Africa/India option is likely. Not easy to tell from pictures. Solder is softer than brazing and you might be able to indent one of the joints (out of sight) with the flat of the point of a nail on the additional metal not the wire. If it makes a slight depression it is soldered, done carefully but with substantial pressure it should not damage the surface. Also check with a magnet if the wire is ferrous.

From the inside you might be able to tell if the leaves are attached to the glass and if the are perfectly in contact with the clear glass... do they wobble at all, even very slightly.

What is the size?

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
It seems to me Frank that it is a letter, looks more like an L to me. I tried to scratch what looks like it could be  soldering around the bottom edge, and it is hard as a rock. The amazing thing is the rest is so perfect I could not see soldering, and it looks like the metal is melted together, or like is was poured on in some way even framing the glass leaves. The leaves do not look like the have been applied to the glass because they have wax dripped behind them. The glass pieces look like they are cut, or carved glass.  It is quite tiny 2.25 inches tall, and 2 inches across the top rim. Now that I am looking at the mark again it looks like it could also be an r. If an L it would be backwards unless you looked from the inside.

Thanks for all your help Frank, I really appreciate it.  :dance:

Kathy

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
If you notice that whitish stuff on there it is wax. I have been afraid to try to clean it because of the gilding.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
Brilliant pictures, I would guess a Bohemian refinery or even homeworkers for a refinery. The leaves would be made in a hand-held button press. The metal has almost certainly been brazed and is possibly bronze wire. The leaves and the wire are likely to have been set-up on a metal former that matched the mould the the glass liner was made in. The whole then patinated. Date is hard to guess but say 1880-1920s. The 'mark' is purely an artefact of the moulding of the liner.

I could be wrong...  ;)

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
wow thanks Frank  :rah:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum