No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is this? Bohemian? - ID = Chlum u Trebone  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
What is this? Bohemian? - ID = Chlum u Trebone
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
Saw this, loved it, bought it.  Described as 70's bohemian on ebay but I have no idea if that's true.  About 20 cms tall, not heavy but not light either. Very minor wear on base and gold but in generally perfect condition.

Haven't found anything similar on the internet and would love to know where it comes from and when it was produced. Any ideas?

Ta

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
Re: What is this? Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 06:23:07 PM »
Update on this.  Picked up a similar one at some point over the years so now have two. Only saw one other until last week when I saw another variant with the label posted below. Definitively places them as mid-century Czechoslovakian. The gilding makes me think Borske Sklo, mainly because I don't know any other Czech glassmakers using gilding so prominently.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 07:32:11 PM »
Logo on label attributed to Crystalex on this site

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/marka-c.htm

National corporation Formed in 1974, which would fit the very 70s design of your pieces.  More information here

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/bohemian_glass/crystalexglass_home.htm

Not sure it gets you to exactly which company made them though.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
Spotted these in Mark Hill's revised sklo book. Jan Gabrhel Garnet and Gold range, introduced in 1964 so pre-Crystalex.
https://markhillpublishing.com/product/sklo-czech-glass-design-1950s-70s/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
Not necessarily. The design may be pre-Crystalex but the item might not be

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
Introduced in 1964, but possibly still manufactured after 1974.  Gabrhel designed for Cesky Kristal, and Cesky Kristal became part of Crystalex - according to the info on the link in my earlier thread.  They're very different to other Jan Gabrhel pieces on the web, so well done finding them in the book.

(Posted before I saw Christine's reply)
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »

Not necessarily. The design may be pre-Crystalex but the item might not be
I was of course referring to the design rather than manufacturer 😁😁😁

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »

Spotted these in Mark Hill's revised sklo book. Jan Gabrhel Garnet and Gold range, introduced in 1964 so pre-Crystalex.
Realised I have missed one important piece of information off this - factory is Chlum u Trebone

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »

He says these are scarce. I have some doubt there. Saw one a few months back on ebay. Saw one on a collectables forum recently. I bought one a few months back, and i'm fairly sure i've seen them a few times before.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »
He says these are scarce. I have some doubt there. Saw one a few months back on ebay. Saw one on a collectables forum recently. I bought one a few months back, and i'm fairly sure i've seen them a few times before.
It's relative I guess. They pop up on eBay and Etsy sporadically but not with the same regularity as other midcentury glass. I've only seen 5 shapes so far, but he says there's 8 different vases. I've also never seen a lidded item. There are designs by other makers with similar gilt bands and decorated panels. Barthmann for example.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand