No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bottle with printies?  (Read 701 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
bottle with printies?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »
I was going to ask about this bottle and I see Michelle's recent post mentioned "printies". Is that what's on this bottle?

It's quite heavy and the base pic shows how the glass is rather uneven. It's 12 cm tall. Base is polished. Also 1880 for this?

thanks
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: bottle with printies?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »
I don't see why not  -  one definition being........'a decorative pattern on CUT GLASS, consisting of a shallow concavity, circular or oval, made with a slightly convex cutting wheel'.     My glass dictionary also provides an alternative word of 'punty'  -  because it's thought that possibly this circular mark is similar to the ground/polished pontil mark found on the base of some glass (where the pontil (punty) rod was detached from the piece of glass).         Those C19 pub glasses are very basic in decoration - although I guess there may be some thought that these cirlcles give added grip.    My dictionary also says..........'on some glasses with a circle of printies, a small engraved sprig is cut between each pair of printies'  -  although this may be stretching the imaginaiton with your example.               Are you saying that on this one the base is flat, completely (ground/polished)??         However, be wary of dating this to 1880 - that was just my general estimation for the pub glasses.       Do you know what the bottle was used for?? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:13:07 AM »
The base looks like the pontil mark has been polished, leaving a concave circle.

I'm not sure what it was used for. It would have had a stopper. The inside of the neck has been ground for that. Doesn't seem fancy enough for perfume? Apothecary something?
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
yes, the base does appear to have been ground/polished.

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:17 PM »
I have a very similar bottle although the top is quite different.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
this one with the wavy top rim appears to have had a stopper  -  my guess is that, decoration aside, its use may well have been for a liquid condiment i.e. an oil of some type - the body has that slender look.
As a reflection, I have seen pressed pieces where there has been an imitation concave pontil area  -  and just to be on the safe side it may prove useful to look more closely with a magnifying lens  -  to look for feint marks left by the grinding wheel. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand