No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greener pressed uranium basket  (Read 6793 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Greener pressed uranium basket
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
The latter basket is clearly a flat plate design from the 1881 Percival Vickers pressed glass catalogue, twisted into a posy basket shape. Although no baskets are shown in the catalogue, someone has scribbled against the plate "basket found 6.4 x 5.2 inches" - this scribble would be from a glass collector annotating their copy of the catalogue.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
Great thanks for that, might explain why I haven't managed to find it against E.Moore which I've been looking all evening.here is another picture.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
That's Neil's website you've found. Worth bookmarking as it's very informative. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
Thanks Anne, yes Neil's website is excellent and has been very helpful.

I also found the same plate in our collection, also referenced against Moore. The reference come from a collectors club magazine which I'm yet to get a copy of.should be interesting.

Anne, I am having trouble accessing the picture gallery, even after reading the help pages, can you advise.cheers Mike

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
Look what I can see with my little uv torch, we had 3 of the 238105 plus 2 the same as Christine plus a few more bits. However the green basket from P.V does not light up.
I know you guys have seen this all before but I was a bit surprised as my father has never put a uv light on his yellow Pearline collection.
Thanks

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 01:14:19 AM »
Anne, I am having trouble accessing the picture gallery, even after reading the help pages, can you advise.cheers Mike

Hi Mike, are you trying to register on the GlassGallery? If so, you should be able to do so but will then need to await my finger on the activation button - we get a lot of spam signup attempts so all signups are checked against GMB membership before being approved. Let me know if it's not working for you though and I can add you manually.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Finally managed to get a copy of the article referencing E.Moore as one of the manufacturers of this Lacey design which may have originated in America.
It says it's from the 1870s Moore catalogue, this snippet is from the " Pressed glass collectors club" Birmingham. Please see attached photos below [ * ] and the one of our original green basket.

Who was copying who?

Cheers Mike

[ * ] Mod: The image of the article page from the the Pressed Glass Collectors Club has been removed for reasons of possible copyright infringement. Even though, as far we are aware, the club is no longer in existence, its articles, images etc. are still subject to copyright. However, Mike's brief information from the text in the article is confirmed by the contextual quote below'
... a small side or ice plate depicts a pattern clearly shown Moore's 1870 catalogue. The plate was in fact made in sizes of 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10 inches. It is plane [sic] to see that Moore must have taken some inspiration from the early American 'lacy style' pressed glass.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 11:28:55 PM »
I think the Pressed Glass Collectors Club have made an inference on the pattern. The plate they show is of an actual piece (it has chips) and not copied from a catalogue. It would be interesting to see the image from the actual catalogue. The item shown is identical to Percival Vickers, which was made in sizes 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 inches.

There's no doubt in my mind that some of the early plate patterns, before say 1845, were made for several manufacturers. My feeling with this design is that it is a bit later, and unlikely to be replicated across manufacturers, unless the same mould was being sold on. In this case it's difficult to see it being the same mould as the listed sizes are different.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:35 AM »
In the PGCC booklet (16 pages) Edward Moore, Unregistered Glass C.1870, which appears to consist of copies of the images from a catalogue, on page 11 there is a selection of custard cups and jelly glasses, one of which appears to be a match for the pattern on the plate Mike posted in reply #17 above. The booklet states that in 1888 Moore bought the "entire stock of moulds" from Coalbourn Hill Glassworks in Brierley Hill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand