No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help please to identify pieces, poss Murino and Jobling  (Read 2444 times)

Offline zoe321

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
help please to identify pieces, poss Murino and Jobling
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
Hi there
Have acquired the attached from a relative (2 photos in album, hopefully) and was hoping for some guidance as to their origins etc. Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me to donate them to the jumble sale!
Many thanks.
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/hols_sis/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline zoe321

• Members
    • England
Re: help please to identify pieces, poss Murino and Jobling
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »
Murano even! Showing my ignorance there  :-\
Apologies.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
Not sure about the clowns being Murano as these were also made elsewhere (I've seen Chinese examples which were very similar and I think there are Romanian versions around too).

You certainly have some nice pieces of Jobling though. The large bowl with the shell design is Jobling's 9000 'Oyster Shell' pattern (yours looks to be the low cupped variant of the large size). The blue crinoline lady is also Jobling and relatively scarce. A 3-part set including the lady, plinth and bowl is shown in Jobling's 1937 catalogue as no. 2596/7. The small blue piece at the back with the circle of holes is a Jobling flower frog (upside down) which would also take a central figure as part of a 4-part centrepiece set.

Arguably the most interesting piece you have though is the blue glass nude figurine. This is quite a rare find. It is a Jobling pattern and examples are included in the collection at Sunderland Museum, however it's not shown in catalogues so either was introduced post-1937 or was an exclusive commission. She may have have come with the frog as part of a centrepiece (though some seem to have been sold separately as one in my collection has had no grinding to the sides of the bung style base and hence won't fit into a frog).

The other pink or grey frosted pieces don't look to be Jobling and I suspect they're quite modern.

Steven :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline zoe321

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
Thanks Steven - really helpful info.
I live in Sunderland so had my suspicions re the Jobling pieces. Might take myself into town today to do some investigating. They really are quite beautiful pieces up close and against the light.

You're probably right re the possible Murano, I can't see any identifying markers on them to suggest any authenticity. The smaller pieces, again, probably just nice decorative pieces but thought it best to check what with being in the 'home' of Jobling so to speak.

Again, your post much appreciated  :)
Zoe

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand