No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and Tell - Eileen Gordon Twilight Bowl  (Read 2445 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Show and Tell - Eileen Gordon Twilight Bowl
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Just wanted to share this stunning Eileen Gordon, for Gordon Studios Bowl (based in Victoria , Australia)
Called Twilight, this is numbered 2 of 100, signed by Eileen Gordon, and dated 1991.

large bowl 24cm  or 9 1/2 inches diameter, 13 cm or 5 inches high. It is coloured,  from rim down - blue, deep rose pink, amber,  fading down to a mottled black at the base. Seems to be a slight hint of iridescence over the whole bowl too, but haven't been able to capture that in the photos. Detail of trees seems to be in a very dark red , and is on the outside of the bowl - can be felt - but not raised - so hot worked?
It arrived when the late afternoon sun was streaming in, and it threw rainbows around my room.  :sun: And it has a deep resonant ping (yes I read the other thread -on pinging - have never pinged before )

Was horrified when it was delivered . after I bought it I twice asked the seller to send it registered mail - got no answer. It arrived loosely packed in a liquid feed and weed box - made of very thin cardboard. It was wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap - but bubble wrap was not taped in anyway - The first wrap was actually a bag made of bubble wrap (thank goodness), so it did stay inside it. It was just rolling loosely within the wrap with a couple of pieces of cardboard packing inside the box - but it could still move in every direction. The top of the box was not even taped with fresh tape - the seller had pressed down again the original old packing tape - it lifted off immediately I tried to lift the lid.    All praise to Australia Post that it arrived in one piece!

Don't think the seller realised what this was - he was not a regular dealer in glass - it came from a deceased estate house clearance from what he said in the advert.
anyway - I love it!
JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Show and Tell - Eileen Gordon Twilight Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »
Love it  :thup:
- it seems to be very shiney bright - there are mirror-like reflections in your pics.
I do seem to have a bit of a thing about landscapes in glass - and a thing about looking through trees in them!
I'm amazed it arrived in one piece - my insides lurched when I read about the lack of pack. Whew!

The trees looks as if they were possibly lampworked, then laid out on the marver to be picked up then marvered into the body. Does that make sense?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
Thanks Sue, yes it is gorgeous.

the shininess you mention is what I meant by the slight iridescence over it all. No idea how it is done. I have looked at the Gordon Studios website but this bowl is not listed - only current items are shown. And your suggestion as to ho wte trees were done makes sense - I didn't think anyone could trail the glass into such a good tree shape freehand - and especially  not repeat it twice more

I may email them a photo and ask for info on this bowl.

I also like landscapes in glass.I have a May, an October, and a November vase from Kjell Engman, and two   landscape John Ditchfield paperweights

This bowl is lovely - and obviously meant for me or it would not have survived the long journey across the country.  :D

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »
Curses - beat me too it!  :grrr:

She does do stunning stuff doesn't she.  Have you seen her father(Alisdair), mother(Rish) & brother's(Kevin) work in the "flesh", exquisite.  You live in WA and they live over there.  Look up Gordon Studios if you have not.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Oh dear that's twice now Ross! But I'm sure you have beaten me in the past to other things!.

No , I haven't been to the Gordon Gallery - but am actually going to a collectors fair tomorrow in Fremantle, where they are located - so may see if I can get there too. Their stuff is stunning on their website, I've looked at it several times  - so I am sure will be exquisite in reality.

Best wishes to you and yours from the West.

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
Met Alastair and Rish in Edinburgh last year, lovely people... links nicely through descent to your Scottish glass collection too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand