No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: confirmation for possible Nazing vase  (Read 604 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
confirmation for possible Nazing vase
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
phrases like......'I'm sure this is'.........come home to haunt me, often, but this does look like Nazing  - and thought I remembered something about a darker coloured halo surrounding the bubbles being one of the criteria for this factory, but I could be wrong.             5"/125mm tall with a clear casing which becomes the chunky foot, and with what appears to be a snapped (slightly smoothed) pontil scar.    Fair amount of wear on the foot.    Similar sort of colourway to one of my other pieces of known Nazing, although I don't see this shape in Miller or Hajdamach, so hope someone will confirm my thoughts please, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: confirmation for possible Nazing vase
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
Paul, there has also been a blue one on the board that looks to be a similar shape to yours.  Unfortunately I can't find the thread at the moment.
link here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40898.msg226638.html#msg226638
there's also been another green one on - I'll go look for that thread as well.
The base of yours looks similar to my little bowl as well....does it have a curious yellow tinge in the clear casing?
m

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
Paul — If you do a GMB Board Search for the original name for the glassworks "Nazeing", you will find nine pages of hits.   I'm certain that somewhere in all those you will find the same vase in cloudy green, together with all the information you need.

HTH.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
thanks Bernard  -  I will indeed look very soon, but I had just typed a reply, which had crossed with yours, so I will let that stand for the moment, and then go back into the search after lunch.    Apologies if some of my comments may possibly seem redundant.

""many thanks to Anne and m for taking the time to reply :)         Don't think I had seen if any one had commented as to whether the......... 'polished pontil makes it pre 1940 ish' and the 'snapped pontil makes it post war'..........is a hard and fast rule for Nazeing  -  quite likely it is not  -  but thanks to the pictures in the links, it does seem there is good chance of this one being from Nazeing.         For whatever reason, don't think Nigel commented on David's blue barrel shapped vase - although the impression I got was that it may well be Nazeing.        However, these swirly bubbled colourways are not easy to id for those of us who see them but rarely, and I guess you would need to handle a lot of pieces in the flesh to feel reasonably confident of attribution (I had in fact typed this before seeing the self-same comment in Miller's Glass of the 20's & 30's)  -  you only have to look in Hajdamach (C20 British Glass) and see the variation in swirls, colours and bubbles, to see the difficulties (chapter 8 is well worth reading re these cloudy/bubbled pieces).    Confusingly perhaps, for us ordinary hack collectors, the Miller's 20's & 30's Glass offering says, when speaking of Nazeing  "..........the characteristic 'cloudy' pattern dotted with tiny bubbles that is a reliable identifying feature of glass by this firm"  -  which does seem an over-simplification and may well lead you into trouble  -  and I'm thinking here of S. & W. pieces in particular, which can be very similar, and contribute to difficulties in getting it right (Nigel helped on a green bowl last year).         

Although Keith didn't include dimensions of his yellow posy vase (for which Nigel confirmed the id), there is, coincidentally, a very similar coloured posy vase on page 108 of Hajdamach - so maybe this might be the same as Keith's example.

The slightly yellowish tinge on the base of mine is staining from standing in rusty water for some time I guess (it came from yesterday morning's boot sale), and I must clean it  -  otherwise the clear parts of my vase really are clear.     There are many different shapes from this period, so don't think that aspect can be used as a guide, although judging by the illustrations in Hajdamach, BGBTW, Miller's, Leslie Jackson, this 'barrel' shape with the heavy clear stubb foot, doesn't seem overly common.
My apologies to Emmi that this is a tad long winded. :)""  -  and hope that she is feeling a little better at the moment :fwr:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand