No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed satin frosted glass classical bust or figure lamp base - getting nowhere  (Read 4608 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
A couple of questions -
1) I'm pretty sure this has RD NO and the a  number on the sticky out ring of the base at the back.  If this does have an RD NO could it only have been made in the UK or are there other countries that would have used this mechanism RD NO for marking?

2) could this figure be Antinous?  The British museum have a bust of Antinous facing this way in their collection I think.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm aware I'm answering my own questions here  ;D but having looked up the registered design numbers the answer to my question 1) is no, it doesn't have to be a British manufacturer at least as far as I can see.
I can only just make out that there is a number there and it appears to read 140008 although all of that is possibly questionable.  If it did, that would date it to 1880s I think.  I think that is too early for a lampbase isn't it?
and could it read Made in Germany at that time? (possible for the letters) - I'd have thought not.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
...would date it to 1880s I think.  I think that is too early for a lampbase isn't it?
and could it read Made in Germany at that time? (possible for the letters) - I'd have thought not.
m

1 1880s Gas, Oil and candle for all of which you can find elaborate things

2 No

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Frank.  So my initial thoughts were it must have been for a lamp, with the back two holes for the wire to run through.  However, I suppose the holes could have been there for a metal or other 'rod' to go through so with something attached at the top ?  but then there is no hole for the rod (presuming rigid) to insert in the base of the glass.  I remain convinced that this is part of a lamp for now and that the holes and groove in the outside of the base were for the wire to thread through or sit snugly against.  I think it's quite early, but obviously not 1880's - so annoying the reg no is virtually invisible presumably from the satinising process.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Clock decoration is another possibility.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok thanks.  I'll keep trawling. The base of it is ground and it looks as though it is supposed to slot into some kind of base stand iykwim, where it would sit immersed up to the first ridge?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ivo, complete shot in the dark here but could yours be Princess Alexandra of Denmark?
http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--forup-carl-1883-1939-denmark-portrait-of-princess-alexandra-3004170.htm
Probably not but the hair and the way it is done in your figure reminded me of that.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Hey that is a clever find - after all that time.  Would the guy in the beard be Edward 7 then?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
well, I don't know  :-[
I had a search but he looks quite a bit older than her in your figures and I don't know if there was that disparity in ages?  She was very young when she wore her hair like that and in later years I couldn't find a picture of her hair in the same way.
I think it's possibly her because her hair was done in that particular style with the partings and rolls, but I wasn't sure if your he figure was Edward VII, he doesn't look like he is to me.

What did her father look like?  could it be her father maybe?  Perhaps made for the Danish market?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
They were only three years apart but it is possible HRH didn't like her later photos (she was 60 when she became queen) and would only permit that portrait to be used as a model. Edward too looks younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand