No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy Crystal (?) vase with circle and oval pattern  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Helen

• Members
Heavy Crystal (?) vase with circle and oval pattern
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
Hello all
This square vase really caught my eye in a charity shop a while back as it reflects the light beautifully. To begin with (wearing my 'just learning about glass' hat), I thought it was just a cheap and cheerful piece but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's something a little more sophisticated. I've looked and looked but haven't been able to find anything similar so I thought I would call upon other people's (much more) expert eye. It's quite heavy at just over 900 grams (or 2 lbs), is 6 inches high, 2 1/4 wide, the rim is 1/3 of an inch thick and it has a well inside. I hope the pictures can give you a good enough impression of the pattern / style.
As always, any thoughts or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Helen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Helen

• Members
Re: Heavy Crystal (?) vase with circle and oval pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
And just one more picture as I attached the wrong one in my first post!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »
hello Helen  -  regret I can't give you an attribution  -  but might ask you please to clarify one or two points, which just possibly might help.     Assume we are looking at a piece of cut glass  -  need to ask, as sometimes pressed pieces can be very deceptive.       The presence (or othewise) of base wear might help.   You don't mention any marks, so assume you have looked and are unable to see anything.
Regret I'm unable to see you pix at any magnification beyond the posted size, and bearing in mind that clear glass is difficult to image cleary in the first place  -  might you be able to upload larger images.    I think your black background is possibly the best colour, but lighting does play an improtant part in helping with these clear pieces.   Sorry this is not of any real help.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "a well inside".?? :)

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »
Hi Paul
Thanks for having a look and I will take some more pictures tomorrow in better light to try to provide a clearer representation of the piece. To get the images down to 125k, I always have to shrink them but I appreciate that with this piece, it doesn't really help. Watch this space!
I've just had another look at the vase and I think it may be pressed glass. There are a few ripple-like flaws in the circular and oval sections which I suppose wouldn't happen if it was cut. I can't see any makers marks on the base and there is a little bit of wear but nothing substantial.
In the second picture (and I will try to capture it better in the new pictures), my reference to the 'well' is the section inside the vase that you can just see. The inside section where you put the water starts from about 2 inches up (below that it's just solid glass). I hope that makes sense... but it probably doesn't given the long day I've had with two little ones!
Thanks for the request for more clarification and I'll get the new pictures taken as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Helen

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:27:09 AM »
You don't need to shrink them so much, you have 125kb per picture and yours are only 12kb. Try making the longest dimension about 700 pixels.

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:13:09 AM »
Thank you so much for pointing out my rather foolish picture size error, Christine. Anyway, with brain properly engaged, here are some (hopefully) better photos.

Your patience is appreciated!

Regards

Helen

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
?????????

Not sure, but maybe cristal d'arques ??  :huh:   :huh:

????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
This looks very much like a vase I have in my collection. That one has a label attached, which identifies it as German, though I wouldn't know the factory. I can't see it very clearly on your pictures - is it the same pattern? The translation of the label (in German): "Real lead crystal, cut by hand".

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »
I thought we had established that Helen's piece was pressed rather than cut glass.    Yes - No ??

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »
sorry, rushing a bit there  -  the pattern does look identical, so maybe Helen's thoughts that this was pressed were unfounded.    Looks as though the match is good. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand