No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cleaning household paint spots off iridised glass  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Cleaning household paint spots off iridised glass
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
I've been contacted by a member who has a problem with how to clean tiny household paint spots off iridised glass, presumably because it's well known that I try to keep a reasonable stock of Walsh Mother of Pearl for sale.   Unfortunately I don't buy damaged Walsh Mother of Pearl, so my experience with cleaning it is limited to cleaning it and freshening it up with standard household cleaners such as Fairy Liquid (washing up detergent), kettle descaler, and, occasionally, Cillit Bang and washing soda, all of which work OK for me.

I would welcome appropriate advice to pass on.   Note that I've not been informed whether it is gloss or emulsion paint, but it seems to me to be more likely to be emulsion paint.

Bernard C.  8)

:huh:  On my first draft I mis-spelled one emulsion as "emusion", and the GMB Spell Check didn't pick it up.   Nor did it this time.  :huh:
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Cleaning household paint spots off iridised glass
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Quite a lot of glass I see seems to be spotted with white paint, presumably a result of people painting walls and ceilings with a roller. Usually emulsion if that is the case. Soaking the item overnight should soften up the paint so it cleans off easily. If it is gloss then I would use nail varnish remover and a cotton bud.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
my choice would be a lancet - at least you can see soon enough if the iridescent surface is damaged by cutting off the individual drops. Any chemical means would be much more drastic, and the result might be disappointing over a larger surface. Use goggles and strong magnification.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
why the goggles if you're using only a scalpel??  rather late in the day to stop after seeing damage ;D...............and my opening sentence (which I lost), was going to suggest that physical means might be the one method not to use.              John's ideas seem safe and worth trying - but you might try a little white spirit on a small area, before bathing the object.      When cleaning paint brushes, white spirit seems less violent that most solvents  -  alternatively, try throwing some white emulsion on a piece of disposable glass, and when dry seeing how abrasive you need to be for removal.      Doesn't nail varnish remover contain acetone??  -  this might be a stronger chemical than white spirit, so perhaps caution.

I've notice the anomaly in the spell cheque be4.... words r simply not picked up that seem glaringly rong.      I noticed that in my first effort to post it didn't recognize iridised, and instead wanted me to use iodised  -  whatever that means.     I've checked again, and the only error it reads it   'rong'.  -  but seems to find emulsion o.k. :)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:35:14 AM »
I've received a few vases from ebay sellers with paint drops on them. I use a razor scraper to remove them - never had any damage. It seems the least invasive way to deal with them, imho. (I've also used the scraper on a halogen hob and Aga range with no problems.)
Julie

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »
I would scrape rather than apply a chemical.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »
then I stand corrected ............I've removed lots of spots of paint, although on non-iridised glass only (where you can scrub to your heart's content without fear of damage) :).

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
Scraping on an iridised finish is a risk, any scratches will stand out distinctly. If there is no other way use a brand new razor or stanley blade so there are no nicks in the cutting edge to scratch the surface. Scraping would be my very last resort if all else failed.

I have used nail varnish remover because it contains acetone and it shifts paints that paint stripper/white spirit/meths has not.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
Maybe over simplifying it here but mostly it's emulsion anyway where people have been too lazy to remove or cover their glass when painting, for me over the years I have simply removed it with the edge of my fingernail not sure about iridised glass though but it's simple enough on crystal and soda type glass.
Did once have one of these splattered with paint and gave up in the end.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MDueY7-QJyE/TbKqO0kex8I/AAAAAAAAKJ8/Og5RQrmPzXg/s512/SDC14492.JPG

Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
I usually go with soaking then the fingernail option.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand