No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question? Chantili Label (Canada) anyone know more info??  (Read 14333 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Question? Chantili Label (Canada) anyone know more info??
« on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
 :hi: there:

I have ran across these a few times on the Net with a label like this one * CLICK HERE .   Chantili Label - Made in Canada (Handmade) ??

Anyone have any ideas about this label, and who they are -- or dates of business?  I did a search here on the board and never came up with any info here either.  So just wondering IF anyone else knows anything at all

Thanks

IMHO.....the cranberry bowl there in the link ((kinda)) has some similarity to Rossi Glass (Canada) maybe ???? Here   but that is just IMO.  Nice little video there...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Question? Chantili Label (Canada) anyone know more info??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »
Hi Rose.  Does Chantilly not refer to the design, ie like Chantilly Lace (lace from Chantilly in France)?  That's just a guess, but the listing doesn't refer to Chantilly as the maker. ???
Nancy

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
Hi Rose.  Does Chantilly not refer to the design, ie like Chantilly Lace (lace from Chantilly in France)?  That's just a guess, but the listing doesn't refer to Chantilly as the maker. ???

Maybe you are right -- never thought of that.                DOH

Guess when I think *LABEL* I think of a Maker, not a pattern.... but could it be a Maker too ?? or not  :ho:             

I dunno.... :thud:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
See here http://www.antique67.com/articles.php?article=79
Scroll down to the paragraph that begins "When searching for Chalet Glass, you’ll find other similar looking Canadian made examples"

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
See here http://www.antique67.com/articles.php?article=79
Scroll down to the paragraph that begins "When searching for Chalet Glass, you’ll find other similar looking Canadian made examples"

Thanks -- That is interesting. !! :kissy:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
Hi:

I'm not sure my memory is correct on the details of the company so I'll troll a bit further before saying anything more specific.  There's an excellent Board for Chalet, http://chaletvintage.forumotion.ca/ , where the question of Chantilli has come up, and a member there, Glassman, has some pictures of his Chantilli pieces on line. He also has a big collection of Chalet and Lorraine, along with some EDAG and Canada Art. His attributions are very good. The link is http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=53846322@N02&q=chantilli

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time but David directed my attention to a couple of questions to which I can help provide more info. Chantili marked pieces are made by Chalet Artistic Canada. Chantili was both a boutique and distributor that was located in Place Bon Adventure in Montreal - just like Tex Novelty in Montreal who were Chalet's first distributor. You will find pieces that Chalet made for this distributor/boutique marked with an etched Chantili signature or bearing a Chantili sticker - 2 different sizes of labels. Chantili distribued and sold a full line of Chalet - animals, baskets, centerpieces, vases.....  Chantili was an early distributor and purchaser of Chalet products - long before Riekes and N. C. Cameron.

It does not refer to a specific design of Chalet - strictly to the distributor. However, many, many pieces with this mark are just a little more elegant, a little different in colour treatments, a little more heavily cased. Many times the signature was inverted so that it could be read from above while the piece was resting on its base. But in typical Chalet fashion - often was not. Unlike Eatons and Birks, who did their own marking of Chalet pieces, Chalet did the signatures for this distributor. In fact, I have an ashtray with the "Chalet Canada" etching signed overtop the Chantili mark.

If you are interested in more Chalet product lines and brandings - please take a look at the pages on my site, www.chaletvintageartglass.com, which deal specifically with "Chalet Marks, Labels and Product Lines". There are a lot of Chantili pieces posted on the site as well so you can get a look at the styling and range.

Hope this helps!

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:44:47 PM »
Deborah, I've just been having a wonderful browse through your site...it's fantastic  :)
m

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »
Hi,

Thank you - I have a wonderful web guy and great photographers - and of course the subject ain't too shabby looking! Appreciate the comment. Labour of love. There is a discussion forum attached to the site - hope you saw it. Lots of pics and opinion!

I love this board and have not been keeping up on it.  Will make an effort to do so as the more "Not Chalet" questions I read - the more I can learn about Chalet given its roots in Murano.

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:01:52 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: Lovely site and really lovely glass!! Makes me want to run out and search for some! Thank you!!
Janice
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand