No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnaby vs. Palet  (Read 7826 times)

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 01:11:17 PM »
Ah, I'd forgotten about this thread.

I was talking to a serious Holmegaard collector at a fair a month or so ago, and he said, according to the catalogues and archive materials, the cased vases are indeed Carnaby, and were in production (in their cased versions) from 1969/70-1975. Production of the uncased versions lasted a little over a year from 1968.

The kitchenware/tableware is Palet, and the Palet range didn't incorporate any vases whatsoever. All pieces from the Palet range share that moulded foot design.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 01:27:14 PM »
Thread is interesting but a liittle confusion, can another post be added organising pics as Palet and Carnaby? Also was Nigels attribution in error or not?

Auction picture has gone but you can use the catalogue image here.

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 01:57:50 PM »
No problem.

This is Carnaby, circa 1968-1970:
Uncased

This is Carnaby, circa 1969/70-1975:
Carnaby Cased

Carnaby catalogue pages:
Page One
Page Two

It seems that the yellow on yellow and white on white vases were only produced until 1971 at the latest, thus their general scarcity today.

This is Palet, circa 1970/71:
Palet
Palet Moulded Foot

It does look like Nigel has used the wrong name in his book.

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »
If the text of this auction is anything to go by, it would seem that Leslie Pina also calls Carnaby "Pallet"...

Auction

I don't have the books in question, does anyone else have them to hand?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
Hi Nic,
The vase you linked to on ebay, or one of similar form,  isn't actually pictured on pg 24 of Smoke & Ice.

It does say that:
Holmegaard gulvases from the "Pallet" series designed by Michael Bang around 1968: bottle form vases with narrow cylindrical necks and disc-like rims in opaque white glass, cased in clear glass; h 14-1/2 in. 10 in.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »
Oh dear, well that info is right off. The Gulvase hails from 1962 and was designed by Otto Brauer.

The cased ones, as far as I've gathered, were a Lutken adaptation and predate the Palet range by at least 3 years.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »
Hi Nic,
It also states in another paragraph, pg 24 Smoke & Ice:

The form was first designed by Otto Brauer in 1962, however, the pieces were produced in coloured transparent glass. In 1968 Michael Bang reproduced the same form in white opaque glass, cased with strongly coloured "ovelays." This experiment resulted in the "Pallet" series, to which these cased gulvase belong.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »
*phew* Not totally wrong, then.  :lol:  But still not wholly correct. Carnaby pre-dates Palet, and if anything was the result of casing the Gulvase, I would say it would have been the casing of the Carnaby range, pre-dating Palet by a year or so.

Stylistically, too, the Gulvase has more in common with Carnaby than Palet, as Carnaby had softer more organic lines. Palet was very angular.

It's amazing, isn't it, how three quite popular ranges of glass created such a relatively short time ago can be so enshrouded in confusion?   :?  :lol:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 10:19:51 PM »

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
Just to verify and expand on some of the dates (which were educated guesses) mentioned in previous posts - Carnaby was cased in 1969, when the range consisted of the larger pieces in opal on opal (white on white), until other colours (and smaller shapes) were introduced in 1970. Yellow/yellow colourway was only produced until 1971, which is when opal/opal ceased production too.

The yellow/opal combination, however, seems to have continued until round about 1975.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand