No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Mdina?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline spencerline

• Members
Re: Early Mdina?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
This  Label was only put on in the 80s but for me the later bottle is the best example of these bottles having the shorter body and in comparison exteremly long straight neck, better than all the earlier bottles ive seen. You are correct of course about the pontil mark on the bottles but the other glass produced in the 80s had the bases ground and polished.

I suppose as a collector I should be looking for a Seaward design in a  37cm size as the smaller bottles sold less. But for skill and aesthetically pleasing to me I like the 80s bottle on ebay, what to do? lol

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
There is an attenuated bottle that looks just like Tortoiseshell in a local antiques center, the base is polished flat and the body is round like a cylinder. It was made at Mdina, IoW tortoiseshell is very similar to Mdina's earthtone colourway - not surprising as they were both developed by Michael Harris.

The seller is convinced because of the creamy brown colours that it is IoW not Mdina, odd really because I bought both my IoW attenuated bottles in tortoiseshell from him and they differ dramatically.

For me, gently sloping long shoulders are desirable, like this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5484549765600200162
but for the shorter variations I love the 'club' shape: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5511635700408967090

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline spencerline

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
Hi John, they are both super examples of the IOW bottles  are they yours? Kev

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
They are indeed. ;D

The Aurene bottle is signed "IOW glass England", so it was once one of the Studio's archive pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand