No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech, Murano or ? basket  (Read 901 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Czech, Murano or ? basket
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
There were at least three different companies making verde. All are bottle green, and there are variations in them. Rossini is definitely the darkest, Vetreria Etrusca and Toso Bagnoli are lighter but all depends on the thickness of the glass.
D
Had another close look at the finish and it seems the bottom is polished - which is ok for Rossini but not for the other Empoli makers where you would expect a polished out pontil mark - so perhaps it not cast in concete after all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline angel2

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
 :angel: :angel:

Ah thanks Ivo, very useful for the future. I don't think mine is Verde but am keeping an open mind (specially as there's not much in it to fill it up!). Love you for all you contribute.  :-*

a2

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
Ivo, regarding Rossini, although they do sound very Italian, I think they are an importer rather than manufacturer?

Here's a vase which shows the Rossini label "Rossini Hand Made Genuine Empoli Glass Italy":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rossini-Hand-Made-Empoli-Purple-Amethyst-Glass-Vase-Italy-Diamond-Vertical-Lines-/110756831483

Ok so far, but here's a bowl, with a Rossini label which reads "Rossini Crystal-Cut Made in Germany":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROSSINI-CRYSTAL-CUT-BOWL-MADE-GERMANY-/190591512142

Aside from being different colours, the shape of the labels and the logo's on them match.  Might not be all that relevant to this thread, but I only noticed this very recently, so I thought I'd give you the heads up.

Edit - Rossini from Japan: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Gold-Accented-Black-Rossini-Japan-Glass-Peacock-/300608854907

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »
Hi, I just found this thread. This basket is not Skrdlovice but it does look very similar. The two links Wayne shows early in the thread are not Skrdlovice or this basket either. The first link saying Jan Kotik Skrdlovice is 1960's Karlovarske Sklo from around the time production of Mstisov was relocated to Karlovary Moser factory site. The second basket was produced at Palme Konig at a time (again) when the communist era organisers of glass production decided to initiate this kind of blown hunti sklo at that factory site for a short time. It looks a similar basket but it is not the same. I have not been able to identify a Czech producer for this basket that the thread is concerned with and if Ivo suggests an Italian origin with a degree of certainty I would not have an issue about that. In the 1960's many factories made similar items when a commercial market appeared for a design and sometimes the similarities make attribution a difficult task.....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline angel2

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 06:59:43 PM »

Thanks so much Robert.  :hiclp:   I'm going to sell - knowing Ivo's remarkable span of knowledge, would you therefore be confident to state that it WAS Empoli Verde if Ivo says so? I mean no disrespect to Ivo at all, I'm concerned not to mislead people, that's all, and in my experience of eBay, people can be rather easily misled. But not by me, look ...   :angel:  !!!!!

a2

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Ah well, told you I would be proved wrong!  ;)  If Ivo is convinced it's Empoli, and Robert is convinced it's not Czech, then I would go with their judgement.  Meanwhile I need to go and learn German and Czech, so I can understand the Czech Glass Reviews better...

Offline angel2

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »

Wayne, I appreciate anyone's effort in trying to help and I learn something whether info is right or wrong. It's all very useful in its own way.  :-*

a2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand