No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pretty Verlys opalescent fishy bowl  (Read 521 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Pretty Verlys opalescent fishy bowl
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Picked this pretty bowl up the other day, dont know too much about Verlys, i wondered if anyone might know the
name of this pattern, and approx date, i presume its c 20s 30s.
The 3 fish for the feet are all different, possibly a carp, a sturgeon, and another.
The bowl is etched in the bowl , Verlys France.
Its about 19cm in diameter.
Cheers
Andy
 :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Pretty Verlys opalescent fishy bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:58 AM »
Hi,
This is a very nice bowl. i don't have my reference materials to hand at present, but yours is one of the more desirable Verlys bowls (possibly because it's smaller and easier to accommodate than their huge chargers!). Datewise it will be no earlier than 1930s; Verlys began in the 1920s as part of Société Holophane, but their early wares were mould blown pieces with cased powders and often with air trap decoration. Pressed glass like this seems to have started around the early 1930s. Production ceased around 1946 in France (though some sources say later) and 1951 for the US branch.

See also here for an interesting pdf on Société Holophane that marcus found a while back: http://blog.sitesandelysiens.fr/public/livret_Expo_Holophane.pdf

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Pretty Verlys opalescent fishy bowl
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
Thanks Steven,
really interesting, and the link too, although my French is not good, i vaguely understood it, i think i took
in more information at school than i realised!
Im leaning towards having a bit of fun on fleabay with this one and see what happens, as the huge difference
of values i was finding , might make it interesting ;)

Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand