No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two possibly Scandinavian Vases, One might be Italian, any thoughts?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
I've been having trouble identifying these two vases (forgive me if I should have put them in separate threads, I'm not sure what the protocal is these days).

The blue vase seems awfully familiar to me but I've poured through my books and multiple websites to no avail.
It measures about 6 1/4-6 1/2" tall and 6" in diameter. The base has a ground and polished pontil area which is marked B162.

The spiral, hourglass one reminds me of the shape and spirals of some Italian pieces I've seen but also some Scandinavian pieces so I'm not sure where to go on that one. The interesting part is that the pontil is like a little raised plug on the base, not your usual pontil, hoping it might give the game away perhaps.
This piece measures just under 10" tall and it is 3 1/2" in diameter at the base.

Oh, and while I have you here, on the off chance anyone regognises it I'm throwing in this little hang blown owl too. 3 3/4" tall, almost 3" wide and it's got a ground and polished base.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Two possibly Scandinavian Vases, One might be Italian, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Just wondering if Jacob Bang had a stylised JB similar to Michael Bang's MB in which case the blue vase may be Holmegaard/Kastrup.

The spiral one feels like Murano rather than Scandinavian to me - perhaps the glass is too thin for a Scandinavian piece.

Alas the owl must be rather sad - it is most BLUE  :24: :24: :24:.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand