No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Piece: Thick, Internally Decorated Bowl  (Read 608 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Mystery Piece: Thick, Internally Decorated Bowl
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
I received this bowl today.  It is unmarked, but I couldn't resist purchasing it.  I found the decorations so intriguing.  I can't tell if this type of work is haphazard or intentional.  It's a shame the artist didn't sign it.  I thought it reminded me a bit of some items I'd seen in Leslie Pina's Scandinavian glass books.  It weighs a ton!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Re: Mystery Piece: Thick, Internally Decorated Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:33 PM »
i think its the same shape as an isle of wight bell vase but it hasnt the flame pontil
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
That may be a possibility.  Some of the pieces that I've seen do look similar.  I've never had a piece in my hands.  I believe that their work is signed though.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »
How big is it?

I would be very surprised if it turned out to be Isle of Wight Studio Glass, here is one of their bell vases, click to the right for more examples: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5429991139411765954

It made me think of Benny Motzfeldt when I saw it. It has a German or Scandinavian feel to my eye.

John

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
Not sure how many members are viewing this post that own Leslie Pina's Book Scandinavian Glass Smoke & Ice, but in Chapter 5 "Pattern" section, pg. 59....there is an example of a bowl designed by Kerttu Nurminen that has vaguely similar qualities.  The author has labeled that piece as "unique" and liekly made for Nuutajarvi Notsjo.  I'd be interested if anyone sees what I see.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
Oh yes, it measures 6.5" inches tall and 6.5" inches in diameter around the rim.  It weighs 8.5 pounds!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Great piece! :mrgreen:

Sorry, I cannot be of much help regarding ID, but two suggestions where you could look further:

- German - in the Gralglas book are some vaguely similar items Unikat "Iris" by Karl Wiedmann (but these should be signed I think)
I own a Schott-Zwiesel vase which is far less elaborate than your bowl, but the colours are similar: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39751.0.html

- Scandinavian: Bengt Orup for Johansfors; the pieces seem to be not always signed:
http://www.smagarde.nu/detailed_info.asp?ID=111&aid=3887&page=
http://www.oldthings.se/bengt-orup_bottle_vase.htm

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand