No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Eisglas posy vases.  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Possible Eisglas posy vases.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
Thanks for your link m, very interesting, and would appear to lend weight to the possibility that it was Continental Europe and North America, mostly, that appeared to favour this 'fritty' type of surface decoration.
It's a pity that we don't have a more user friendly word  -  such as Coralene for example  -   with which to describe the textured effect on these clear glass items.    I assume that Coralene is so called simply because of the artistic applied design which has the appearance of strands of coral.
Perhaps we should call the clear glass decoration '60 grit frittelene' :24: :24:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »
Overshot glass was widely made in England, France and Germany (and Ireland and Belgium and and and) and the term has been used for decades without any ambiguity.  We should not introduce confusion and misnomers here.  :help:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
Darn, I was just considering to suggest ´applied fritz´ for the german variant, but to avoid further
confusion let´s agree to ´overshot´...    :ac1:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
quote from Dirk........"´applied fritz´for the German variant"......a real gem Dirk ;D  -  however, we don't want upset Chancellor Dr. Merckel and create more instability for the Euro, so we'll stick with Ivo's overshot. ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
my apologies to the entire German nation.........the spelling should, of course, be Merkel :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
Paul, Dirk and I just had one of our extensive phone conversations: we won't merkel about your typo  :24: :24: :24:

Incidentally today I received a small catalogue as a gift from my dear collecting friend Doris B.:

GLASS FROM WORLD'S FAIRS 1851-1904 - Jane Shadel Spillman, CMOG, 1986

page 18 shows an image as follows:
> "Fig. 6a "Engraved and Coloured Glass by Messrs. W.P. & G. Phillips, London", pl. 68, from Masterpieces of Industrial Art & Sculpture at the International Exhibition, 1862 by J.B. Waring <

Pictured are two huge centrepieces, one of these has five or six very similar Nautilus shells in the mid-level.

Can only offer to send a scan by email, if you are interested.

:sm:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
thanks Pamela  -  and yes, I would be very interested to see the image showing these smaller Nautilus shells from your catalogue.    Please don't hurry - whenever you have the spare time. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
sorry, had meant to ask the Mods. to change subject title to something like........Overshot Nautilus posy vases..........or similar.    thanks. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Paul was there an indication of where these were made please?
Edited to say that should have read...was it confirmed your Nautilus shells were made by Messrs W.P. and G. Phillips, London.? 
thanks
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
the short answer was no.          I did receive the image from the Spillman catalogue page from Pamela, but having looked at this came to the conclusion that there was insufficient similarity between my shells and the Phillips examples to make a connection.      Since it would be too wordy to explain why I thought not, the following is part of my reply to Pamela,

............."although I must say that your catalogue picture shows Nautilus shells that appear to be a lot more complex than my rather simple examples.
Your shells are opaque rather than clear like mine, and there seem to be 'arms' coming out of yours, on the ends of which are candlesticks - very posh looking.         I guess the whole centre piece is what the French would have called an 'epergne'  i.e. a centre piece for flowers, for the table"........

Doesn't mean that mine positively had nothing to do with Phillips  -  just that I couldn't see enough likeness to really link them.       So the jury remains out.

What makes you ask?? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand