Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

blue vine cameo

(1/4) > >>

Ivo:

Never come across anything like this before: Frosted ground and bottom like cameo, except you can feel the countours on the inside as if it were mould blown. Glossy vineleaves, polished rim, 12 cm / 5"high and really heavy.  Is this what is known as "faux cameo" ?

Frank:
Isn't that term usually applied to some of Webb's glass? In which case it is. I have never read an account of how its done, probably to late for Hadjamach.. when is his 20th C book coming out   :x

KevinH:
The term "faux cameo" is one that I have not seen defined in any of my books. But it certainly is used a lot and there are plenty of google references in connection with both glass and general jewelry.

The use of the term seems to be for any item that looks like cameo work but was not actually, and wholly, hand-carved. This surely implies that any glass item that has been acid treated, even if finished with hand carving, is "faux cameo".

And yes, some people use the term for certain Webb vases from the 1930s. Here's a typical example I happen to have:
Whole thing ... http://i2.tinypic.com/qytngx.jpg
Signature part ... http://i2.tinypic.com/qytnki.jpg
But Manley spoke of "psuedo-cameo" and, taking references from the British Glass Between The Wars catalogue, the advertising literature of the time called the Webb pieces "Cameo Fleur".

The Great Glass site gives a reference (but not a definition) within the glassmakers section:

--- Quote ---Peynaud
Bordeaux, France (1910 - 1945)
Glass refinery, "faux-cameo" enamelling, often in the Nancy style
--- End quote ---

Whether Ivo's vase is Peynaud, I would not like to say. It does not seem to fit the "enamelled" comment that Great Glass make. But it does look French(ish) to me. I don't think it's English. And note the difference in background finish between Ivo's and the Webb vase. The Webb ones are all (?) finished with the typical stippling to the clear parts.

One other point of interest is from Manley. He said, c1980, page 22 of Decorative Vistorian Glass,
--- Quote ---To my knowledge, a type of pseudo-cameo vase has been around Britian for at 50 years. ... shaped like an Indian club ... very heavy ... a decoration of raised leaves and flowers beautifully enamelled ... seen scores of these vases sold as French and I have little doubt they are French, yet when Richardson's sold out in the 1930s, a number of these vases in various hspaes and sizes, were found in the glasshouse.
--- End quote ---

Hmmm.

Anyone know when the term "faux cameo" came into general use for glass items? And who first used it?

nigel benson:
Hi,

Frank, are you thinking of Thomas Webb's "Cameo Fleur"? (which can also, incorrectly, be referred to as "pseudo-cameo").

Similar wares were also produced by Richardsons and are called "Rich Cameo". The technique used to produce them is discussed in British Glass Between the Wars in the essay by Roger Dodsworth on Thomas Webb - see page 27, with a colour illustration on page 46.

I discussed this description with Michael Parkington and Hajdamach, amongst others, in the past. Thoughts were divergant as to the possibility of achieving the design using a dip mould as mentioned in the text with no consistant agreement, which I mention purely to open discussion.

Neither Webbs or Richardsons vases diplay the techique used on your vase Ivo.

Rims on their work are fire finished (rounded) as a rule and usually have a band of the same colour as used on the flower design around the rim. The background to the design can either be a polished random hexagonal shallow cut pattern, or a random 'frosted' stipple effect. Occasionally I have seen a roughened acid polished pattern - most usually on the abstract patterned vases, for which I have no official name. The flowers used on Webb's and Richardsons are most often Lilies or Tulips, but if you look in Christies sale catalogues for Parkington I (pg 40) & II (pg 38 ) you will see the full range of colours and two with rare flower patterns and finishes.

Nigel

Edit - Just posted and found your entry Kevin!

KevinH:
Ah! Multi responses again. I was editing mine with a bit if extra detail while Nigel posted his. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version