No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and tell - Karlin Rushbrooke studio glass jug  (Read 3980 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Show and tell - Karlin Rushbrooke studio glass jug
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »
I know this should go under British but I put it here because I think Karlin Rushbrooke's fabulous glass deserves maximum exposure  ;D
The white one is my newest piece and has polished shiny fingernails, the purple one I found last year and that doesn't.  I don't know the date it was made, but he referred to my purple one as 'one of my early pieces'.  There is a bowl in 20th Century British Glass that is blue but with red rim trail (lip wrap) like my jug and that dates to 1981 signed.

Link to perfume bottle on this site here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29902.msg162009.html#msg162009
The perfume bottle is known as a profile bottle and there are a number of different designs of them all in various guises of hair length as well. I believe they date to c.mid '90s.

Handblown pieces, incredibly beautiful to my eye, and immaculately made.  The white jug is 14.8cm and the purple 12cm tall.

His profile page is here (click through all three pages using 'next')
http://www.cgs.org.uk/membersmoduleasp/showmemberdetails.asp?memberno=124
More work can be seen in 20th Century British Glass - Charles Hajdamach page 422 where there are two etched pieces and there is a stunning piece of engraved work on a red vase, in a book (see below) I have.
According to a Crafts Council book I have dating to 1993, his work at that time, could be seen in the Broadfield House Glass Museum and the Corning Glass Museum collections.
JP I remember you saying you have a collection of his pieces - if you work out how to do pics, I'd love to see some

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Show and tell - Karlin Rushbrooke studio glass jug
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Yes i have collected his work for quite a while ,i  used to pick it up very cheap as he wasnt known .. but now thats blown , nothing good last , i have missed two of those jugs in the last year by under bidding as i was spoilt in the good old days , i am glad you reminded me as i won a nice C R vase in Auction down at Worthing , a friend down that way picked it up for me and has still got it , probably at least three years ago . time to go down there . cheers nice Jugs you have , very tactile- finish . cheers well done . DRAT :mrgreen: JP

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »
Sorry to blow it JP  :)
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
No probs they still dont fetch a fortune . :thup:

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Re: Show and tell - Karlin Rushbrooke perfume bottle
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
Hope it's ok to post it here. Picked up this signed Karlin Rushbrooke perfume bottle on the weekend. Dated 1979.
Unfortunately the stopper has broken off in the neck of the bottle, but still a lovely piece.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
That's pretty :)

It's very like my paperweight with holes in which is dated 1975

m

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »
Very nice.  :)

Is there a thread with advice on removing jammed & broken stoppers?  :(

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
I'm not so sure about broken stoppers.   This thread may be of some help: 

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49090.msg276923.html#msg276923

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:30 AM »
Cheers.   I can't tap the stopper but I'll try tapping the neck. See what happens. :)

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
Hi JP, I have the same jug in amber at http://20cglass.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_37&products_id=455 if you are interested in acquiring a version of that jug.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand