No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stelvia 'Fatto a mano' ?  (Read 999 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
Stelvia 'Fatto a mano' ?
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »
Biggish vase that I think is Stelvia 'Fatto-a-mano'. Looks like base mould for this one http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/murano_glass/stelvia_glass/stelviaglass_home.htm
6th row down.

There are no stickers. Is there a mark from the mould that can help positive attribution? There are seams that suggest to me that this is mould blown (?). The base glass is 'milky' or is it Opaline/opalina? Looking at the base it reminds me of white Pyrex or JAJ.

I'm also interested how the decoration is applied/incorporated. I don't know if it's glass or enamel ... . I am concerned that if I clean it, I could damage the finish. I think I've seen this called 'sandy' - assume that's just a collector or vendor's term?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Stelvia 'Fatto a mano' ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:12 AM »
The base colour is standard lattimo, milk glass, and the decoration is an acid stain fired on - the same technique used in israel and in Romania. I think it is safe to wash - but don' t go sscrubbing with a scouring pad.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Thanks Ivo.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
The shape looks spot on to the example you linked too.

John

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
so, I'm now wondering if this item I previously asked for help IDing - that was IDed as Empoli region, maker unknown ... is in fact Stelvia?

I hope in some tiny way this is helping build up a bigger picture of glass from the Empoli region. I have seen an orange vase the same as the blue on minus handles on Fat Lava group on Facebook. The guy photographed it along with his WGP collection. He said he had a mate that also had a similar vase that had a sticker saying it was Empoli. I wish I could find that pic to link to now!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
The two in your photo have come from different moulds, the shapes don't quite match and then there is the textured pattern.

John

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:49 AM »
They are certainly from different moulds. But they are a variation on a theme.

The Fatto-a-mano piece is diamond based. The blue is square based. But they are the same height and proportions in the neck.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
Fatto a mano simply means hand made. Empoli is a place with lots of glass factories. Stelvia is in Empoli. Several of the factories may have had the same or similar basic moulds, so without something much closer with a label, who knows.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
Here's a cased version with a label that reads "Opalina Fiorentina":

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Grosse-Henkel-Vase-Glas-Opalina-Fiorentina-un-1950-60-/250904564390

I've seen similar labels with the same wording on Stelvia pieces, but I guess until we find one of these with a label actually saying "Stelvia", it's hard to be certain.

There's another example in the following thread (click the link in the first post), without handles, pictured next to another vase which has apparently been ID'd as Stelvia and sometimes has the Opalina Fiorentina label:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31200.0.html

Again, nothing 100% conclusive yet though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand