No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lampwork Figure  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Lampwork Figure
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »
Great legs, but those nipples look like they could blind a person at fifty yards... :chky:

:24: :24: :24: Well, as Sue said, she must be cold dancing in the nude! :24:

I agree, I don't think she's by the same hand that made the Bimini figures which were in the other thread.  The base was another thing which is different ... but I wondered if that was relevant or not  :-\ 

I do own a Lauscha stag, so I was thinking of that, but I didn't really think about what Ivo has pointed out, that there are many people in the village of Lauscha who make glass figures!  I think I had been thinking of 'Lauscha' as we think of a glass factory, rather than just as a village where people are known for making glass figures!  :pb: 

I love the sheer exuberance of her!  She looks as if she is just about to take a step forward and dance off into the distance! :girlcheer: (Somewhere warmer, perhaps? :sun: )
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:14 AM »
I know nothing of lampwork, but like most of us, there is sometimes an intuitive feeling about a creation that either does, or doesn't give a sense of correctness.     Having looked at just a few of the earlier Bimini period examples, they have, obviously, a period look and their design is more stylized  -  this one just seems so anatomically OTT that it was made more as a piece of humour.      So, my suggestion is that this piece is modern, and will remain without an attribution.    Someone perhaps had Josephine Baker in mind, and those big bits were an attempt at tassels. ;) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
Wonderful! I love it and usually steer away from lampwork figures - but this one I would have had-to-have!

I just have some comments on styling.

I followed the link to Glas musterbuch site and on p32 of the Glassexport 1955 catalogue the bases of the fish are on are similar. Much more so than those on the Bimini links - but then - on p30 there are figures with bases the same as on the Bimini links. I was looking closely at the legs of the bathers on p21 and there are similarities - but the faces on those figures are completely different. And the glaring difference is the absence of figures of 'people of colour' from Z/B at this time.

Similar base here: http://www.toeuropewithkids.com/2010_12_01_archive.html

Their are similarities and differences to contemporary Czech figures here: http://www.czechglass.co.uk/czech-glass-sculptures.html  in as much as we see an interest in 'ethnic' figurines - which was a popular subject matter in 1950s/60s decorative homewares (kitsch)- but in a completely different style. If I'd have found this piece of glass I'd be hoping it was '50s or '60s. But most of what I see have eyes. I'm off to look at Pirelli glass figures. Or perhaps Pirelli calenders?

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
Hi Leni,  I have had a few moments to contact Keith Hill about this figurine, and he has suggested that it could well be by Rowan van der Holt who has a workshop in Bristol.

When I visited Keith and Judy to pick up a piece of Komaromy glass,  he showed me a small collection of this type of glass he had, and so I took the liberty of asking him about your piece. And Rowan was, in his opinion, quite possibly the maker.

Rowan will be exhibiting at the Cambridge Glass fair, so if you are going,  it might be worth taking some pictures of your lovely dancer with you, and asking her.  If you aren't going,  I am happy to ask for you if you want to send a few pics to me to take along. 
Just let me know.....I will be visiting her stand anyway, so it will be no trouble.
Rosie. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
Thank you, Rosie.  Yes, we will be going to Cambridge.  I will make a point of asking Rowan about my dancing lady!  :kissy:
Leni

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:52 PM »
That's great Leni,  maybe we can make a point of meeting up.....it would be good to meet you and some of the others who at the moment are only 'names'.....waddayathink?
Rosie.  :)
Rosie.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
Great idea!  Wear a *rose* in your buttonhole so we recognise you!   ;D   :thup:
Leni

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
OK,  I will try to remember!!  :usd:
Rosie.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
Rosie  i have seen your mug in rogues gallery , once seen never forgotten !!! see you there ,  find me and  i will buy you a glass .         
 of water , no lunch is on me coz u r a sweetie, so i am told by ALL the guys on the forum , hubby can buy his own . ;)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
That pic was taken YEARS ago JP,  I am old and grey now......anyway,  you always try to avoid me,  so even a free glass of water may not tempt me to ask who you are! but a peppermint tea might!.......However I will wear a rose so that those who don't think I'm 'a sweetie' can avoid me!
Rosie. ;)
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand