No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Murano vases  (Read 364 times)

Offline på femte våningen

• Members
Possible Murano vases
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »
I bought a pair of these vases yesterday thinking early Murano glass but haven't been able to find anything similar on the web. They are in similar shape but in different size (height 22 cm and 17 cm). The walls are thin and "optic blown" (probably incorrectly translated from swedish) and decorated with gold. The rim and foot are "folded" and both pieces has pontil marks.

I would be utterly grateful if someone here could help me to identify them.

Regards

Rickard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Possible Murano vases
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Lovely piece, tack for showing us.

I agree with you that early Murano is a likely option - if you find a vague mark saying "Italy" in script you're in luck.  It seems to be very much in the style of Cappelin Venini in the 1920s - though others have made similar things. In any case, this shows top glassmaking skill as found in Murano, and the model is classical Venetian.

Hope you'll get it positively IDd. "Optic Blown" btw is the correct translation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline på femte våningen

• Members
Re: Possible Murano vases
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
A pleasure Ivo, or "ett nöje" as we say here.

I do hope you're right. Unfortuneately I can't find any signature but they are in deed of high quality. And apparently optic blown  ;)

Sincerely

Rickard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand