No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 1688 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Advice needed please
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:13:25 AM »
Hi all,  am between a rock and a hard place- did a bit of a trawl around the second hand shops and was offered two Sheringham clear candle sticks-both in good order but no Wedgwood mark to the base. A three ring and a seven ring for $200 NZ (for the two), don't know whether to bite the bullet and eat noodles for the next wee while or  gulp-Walk Away!! I already own about ten of various colours and up to 3 rings. :ooh: from Carol in sunny Napier NZ :sun: :sun:
Carolglass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
Hi Carol...  I don't know anything about these candlesticks, so $200 sounds like a fortune to me.  I suppose it all depends on what you feel about them.  Will you lose sleep and kick yourself in the pants if you don't get them?  Or will you lose sleep and kick yourself in the pants if you do?

It's a toughy.  :kissy:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »
that's about £120.00 for the two.  I would apportion £100.00 in my head to the 7 ring.  They were incredibly difficult to make from what I read, so I guess only a few makers would have been able to blow the 7 ring ones without losing them.  Check out the prices on the net for the big ones.  and then make your decision.  Personally I love the clear ones.  They are very elegant and I can imagine the 7 ring would look spectacular.  If there is absolutely no damage I would go for it personally.  I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any talk of someone 'faking' any of them never mind a 7 ring one and they were not always marked (although goodness knows why not, especially the 7 ring ones and 5 ring ones which are quite special).
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
I think at one point in time, 9 ring ones went for about £1,200 - but that was a bit of a flash in the pan.

Is there not a story somewhere about some of them being made at King's Lynne? It's possible, I believe, to tell the two  (KL or WW) apart by how the base is constructed?

Sorry, I'm dredging through the bottom of the dustbin of my brain for this - my comments might be a bit contaminated by coffee grounds and fag ash.

However, this sounds like a bargain to me if you like them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
 :pb: And I thought $200 for two was a fortune...    Carol, perhaps you should get them for your collection!  Noodles are lovely.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
I reckon you should use an exponential scale to calculate value, depending on the number of rings.

They were made using an incalmo technique - bonding seperately constructed pieces of glass.
One ring bits are fairly common, not too complicated to make, and not overly delicate that they get easily broken.
!2 ring bits are exceptionally complicated to make, very delicate and easily broken. They were also (obviously) the most expensive when first made.

So an example of using an exponential scale would be to double the price for every ring, rather than add a certain amount per ring.

I'm not saying doubling would be correct - it might be tripling, or multiplying by 1.5.

But I reckon doubling isn't too far off.

But a 7 ring bit is not to be sneezed at  :smg: - (you may knock it over and break it!)

Porridge is lovely - and healthier than noodles. I lived on it for three weeks once. I did better than my friend who only had dog biscuits for a fortnight.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
Porridge?  Bleh...  Noodles are better because you can have spaghetti noodles, shell noodles, swirly noodles, and when you're feeling exceptionally daring, alphabet noodles... all while looking at your collection of candlesticks.  ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »
so the consensus at the mo is to go for it  :hiclp:  and live on something inexpensive for a while  ;D

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
 :ooh:

I count pasta and noodles as being different - noodles are the Chinese eggy things to me - and much as though I love pasta, only the wholemeal stuff is good for you and good wholemeal pasta is hard to find - and it only works for shapes - the spaghetti is awful. Porridge is cheaper.
And I like porridge  ;D - but only with salt - and it has to be solid - sticking to your bowl when you turn it upside-down!

But I'm sure looking at the (7-ring!!!!!!) candlestick will make anything taste good!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »

They were made using an incalmo technique - bonding seperately constructed pieces of glass.

I don't think this is quite correct, more later. (quite soon, I expect)

12 ring bits are exceptionally complicated to make, very delicate and easily broken. They were also (obviously) the most expensive when first made.

Definitely!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand