Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Animals & Figurines

Wedgwood Elephant expert needed for ID please.

(1/9) > >>

rosieposie:
I collect Wedgwood Ellies and have several,  so I was surprised to see this one listed as Wedgwood:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wedgwood-Glass-Elephant-Clear-Glass-/250994227900

To me it a looked like Ngwenya glass from Swaziland.
I have written to the seller as she said it has the Wedgwood mark on the base, and has sent me a picture of a Wedgwood acid etched mark she says is on the base,  but I am really not convinced.

Is there anyone who can verify that Wedgwood did make this ellie, and the Wedgwood Rhino she is also selling?

Tigerchips:
The glass looks as though it has a green tint to it. I don't think Wedgwood would have used recycled glass, but i'm no expert.

rosieposie:
Thanks Tigerchips, I agree it looks very like recycled glass. Do you know if anyone would have fabricated a Wedgwood acid etched mark to put on other pieces?

I did wonder at first if perhaps Wedgwood had made this as a help to get Ngwenya glass started,  but I looked up the history of the start of Ngwenya and it would seem it was the Swedish company, Kosta Boda that did all the pioneering help for then to get started.

The acid etched mark looks pretty authentic except it is straight lettering rather than the usual oval shape.....still feeling uneasy about this, yet the seller is insistent.
Any other comments would be really gratefully received as I collect Wedgwood Ellies and if this is really a rare one,  I don't want to miss out.

Mods,  am I allowed to put up the picture of the acid etched mark the seller sent me?

Paul S.:
Susan Tobin's book does not show any elephants with upturned trunks -or in clear come to that.     Don't know how conclusive that is for you  -  although Wedgwood certainly did animals in clear glass, and the fact this one has a backstamp would, ordinarily, be conclusive - so maybe a bona fide example that is simply rare, who knows!!    A butchers at the mark should clarify the situation. :)

Paul S.:
err...clarification........some Wedgwood elephants do have raised upturned trunks but they point forward..........there aren't any with trunks like this one i.e. curving back in on itself.      Those in the book are really very different. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version