No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Cranberry Glass Bowl (Swirls) -- MYSTERY ??  (Read 7452 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Unknown Cranberry Glass Bowl (Swirls) -- MYSTERY ??
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
 :hi:

Found this yesterday -- and a bit of a mystery to me.  I think it is Canadian glass, but not sure of the maker.  My two opinions would be either CHALET GLASS or maybe ROSSI GLASS.  It does have a  silver / Red foil label on it stating:

" Heritage - Cranberry Collection - Handcrafted in Canada " (also in French on the one side of label)

I am not finding much about this label or any reference to Chalet, or Rossi with a name of Heritage??   So is this a label for the glass, or an *export label* as a possibility?  Nice to find a label on it, period - but no help.

~ Cranberry Ruffled with Clear edging
~ Intact label
~ Scalloped Edges
~ About 7 inches wide
~ 3.25 inches high
~ Base has some wear.

So right now it is a Mystery to me.  If I had to lean one way (I think) I would lean to Chalet -- but then -- it feels like a lighter Glass.  So I am torn as to *who* the maker is.   I does look similar to the Chalet (green) bowl I posted, but I have never held one of those in my hand so not sure of weight (etc).  If anyone has any idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

While trying to goggle here ............... I never knew that to get the Cranberry color that 22 kt Gold is used?  Learn something new here.  Does that make Cranberry glass any more collectible?

Thanks - gotta run to Dr. App this morning   :ghug:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Unknown Cranberry Glass Bowl (Swirls) -- MYSTERY ??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
Rose

I am pretty sure this is Rossi Glass.  Very nice piece!

Sid

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
Rose

I am pretty sure this is Rossi Glass.  Very nice piece!
Sid

Thanks Sid:

...but did you see that Chalet page **HERE and go to the Second page (of the Greens there)...see the bottom row their is a swirled, and ruffled ashtray that *kinda* looks like this too.  That is why I was drawing a        Blank       .   As I have never seen or held one of those Chalet ribbed/swirled Ashtrays as shown in that pic.

I tried googling Rossi with the word Heritage it in, but did not get any hits so that is why I am ??  and  :thud:

So doesn't that throw a loop in things with a swirling Green Chalet glass -- much like this too, eh?

:usd:

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
Rose

Got my lead from Deborah's post to the Chalet Vintage Collectors Circle forum where she states that "Heritage Cranberry" was a Rossi line.  Remember that Rossi had worked earlier at Chalet.  Here is a link to the forum:

http://chaletvintage.forumotion.ca/t192-heritage-glass-by-chalet-and-heritage-cranberry-by-rossi

Deborah is a member here as well so hopefully she can confirm this.

Sid

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »
Thanks Sid ....

Now it is leaning  :usd: towards Rossi glass.  Thanks for that link.  Geeez everybody has a name so similar it does get confusing.  Did you watch those Vids I just posted in the glass Vid section (GMB)  about Rossi Glass.  They also talk about Murano there.  Not that we do not know that, but nice to watch the videos about it.  Also it says that Rossi glass used *22 kt Gold* in the cranberry line.  So that is neat to know. Does every glass producer that makes cranberry use  22 kt gold in it to make that color?

On the flip side here - have you seen/held one of those swirled Chalet Glass (like the link of the Green one)?  I never have.  I was just going by a picture.....so that is what confused me.

Funny part of it all - was when I first picked up this glass bowl the other day -- Rossi was the first thing that popped in my mind.  After I got home I started to think about it more and started to think I saw something swirled in Chalet to.  Guess I should have went with my gut feeling in the first place.

Do you have an idea of the age at all? 

Thanks a zillion Sid           :thup: to you!!

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
Rose

My knowledge doesn't really extend into this period so we need someone else's knowledge.  Can you get Chalet and Rossi in the title of the discussion?  That might get the attention of Deborah or Langhaugh who seem to specialize in mid to late 20th century glass.

To my understanding, you can't make cranberry without using gold. 

Sid

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Hi Sid and Rose,

The cranberry bowl is Rossi - "Heritage Cranberry " was his line. And I totally agree with you that id's between Chalet's cranberry and Rossi's cranberry can get very confusing. Mostly due to Maestro Rossi's vintage pieces and the naming of his lines being very derivative of Chalet.  Rossi came to Chalet from Lorraine and worked there in the early 70's until Chalet declared bankruptcy - he was another Murano glass blower and like the rest of that group of artists knew the Tedescos and Pagnins from Italy. Chalet is where he achieved Maestro status.  So if a Chalet or Rossi piece of cranberry has lost its hang tag - can be very tough. Rossi did buy Chalet 's equipment after its closure (with a partner) but not the name or building and then started his own company.Although many people believed he "saved" Chalet and Chalet ran until 1981 - not so - Chalet as Chalet was over in the June of 1975.  Another Rossi "myth" is that he "invented" Chalet's cranberry - not so, Maestro Pagnin (owner and brother-in-law) was Chalet's chemist and he developed all the lines (3) that used cranberry.

Rossi also caused incredble confusion with the naming of his companies - Artistic Lighting, Rossi Artistic Glass, Artistic Glass, Rossi Glass............. and then there was Mosaic Artistic Glass in Cornwall as well so quite the "glass soup". Rossi, like Chalet, used a variety of labels, pontil marks and hang tags.
Plus he used N.C. Cameron as a distributor - they were a major distributor of Chalet.

Chalet marketed their hand-moulded ribbed glass as "Canadian Heritage Glass" and their cranberry under "Canadiana Cranberry". Riekes Crisa in the US distributed the cranberry under the "John Riekes Collection" and N.C. Cameron in Canada also carried the cranberry as one of their lines as well. Chalet's ribbed ashtrays (like the one you refer to from my site) can also be etched "Chalet Canada" on the base and you can also find a variety of CH stampings on the ribbed Chalet pieces that have  footed crystal  petal bases.

I am just about to bring out a "supersized" revised edition of my 2010 "Chalet Marks, Labels and Product Lines" reference guide which has a really expanded section on the "Similar yet Different" Canadian Italian glass houses of that era - at least what we know that's been verifedLOL Tough getting info about those times. Chalet's markings were really  "hit or miss" - another section added to the new guide as so many mismarks and products from one line given the wrong marking. There were only 2 people doing marking at production end - the artists told me when they got really busy everyone and anyone (cousins, neices, nephews........) were roped into marking so could be very confusing. Plus alot simply didn't get marked.

Hope this has helped and not just added to the confusion. Rose, we need you to post on the Chalet forum too! You haven't visited there in a very long time. And Sid - you visit but don't post. I would love to hear from both of you!

Deborah

Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
Hi again Rose,

Sorry - in my long winded reply, I seem to have missed answering your specific age question re the Rossi piece. Likely early to mid 80's as Rossi left Cornwall and Canada in 1994. Came back in 1996 to Niagara Falls and then left in 2001 for the States and then reurned in 2004 to Niagara Falls (where he still blows glass). I do not know much about the timing of his lines but believe Heritage Cranberry was from his time in Cornwall.

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand