No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Majestic electric blue cut glass Jardinaire Gotta see this!!Sklo Bohemium??  (Read 1760 times)

Offline scavo

• Members
Sue - I think Scavo is drawing attention to the 'scalloped outline of the base on the Baccarat piece being similar to the outline of the base on the blue bowl  -  but perhaps a bit too tenuous?

Sue and Robert: quite right! I wouldn't be putting Baccarat money down on something on the strength of a similarity. I merely spotted a similar design trope and suggested a rather optimistic avenue to be explored in answer to 'any ideas on where i might start to look???'

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :pb:
Me being ignorant of the meaning of the word "similarity" when it comes to cutting!
I just saw a tall ribbed green bud vase..... with no extra pictorial cutting, no swags.... I didn't bother to study the base after that!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
Sue and Robert: quite right! I wouldn't be putting Baccarat money down on something on the strength of a similarity. I merely spotted a similar design trope and suggested a rather optimistic avenue to be explored in answer to 'any ideas on where i might start to look???'

I think that's reasonable.  i just happen to be in the middle of some semi-causal research into late 20th century modernism and Sottsass is one of my interests as he was one of the leading designers of Postmodern domestic items, especially through his involvement with Alessi.  Much of his later work was historicist in nature, drawing elements from earlier styles and periods, so the similarity between the bowl and the Baccarat vase are due to Sottsass's copying or elements of earlier designs, rather than them having some contemporary relationship.

(I hope that makes sense; I haven't had coffee yet!)

All I personally can say about the bowl for certain is that it's not American, and that it's either a great piece by a good company or a good piece by a great company.
Robert

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
 ::)
I just keep thinking ive seen something before similar that was a piece made for one of the big glass exibitions that have taken place in the past, Im clutching at straws big time but my mind is stuck with it. Thanks for everybodys input im thinking it might be good quality maker too but who knows :thup:

Offline scavo

• Members
Late twentieth century modernism is certainly an area that naturally develops an historicist tendency. A natural conclusion to the death of ideas that postmodernism represents.
Thank you for pointing out my transverse-historical comparison. Though I did think the Baccarat piece must be a revisiting of an old design. I admit to knowing next to nothing about Baccarat or their designs in relation to contemporary or contemporaneous trends. My (limited) understanding of the top glass manufacturers is that they produce both conservative and cutting edge pieces.

Offline beaubow

• Members
    • R Young Antiques
Though I did think the Baccarat piece must be a revisiting of an old design. I admit to knowing next to nothing about Baccarat or their designs in relation to contemporary or contemporaneous trends. My (limited) understanding of the top glass manufacturers is that they produce both conservative and cutting edge pieces.

The idea that it's revisiting of an older piece wouldn't surprise me.  Ettore trained as an architect, not an industrial designer, and his best works tend to be in wood or metal.  I actually didn't know he did work for Baccarat, but it doesn't surprise me.  It also wouldn't surprise me that he played it safe by building on or altering an existing design.

From what I have seen, that vase, in crystal, would not be out of line with some of the pieces they made in the 1930s.  They produced some aggressively geometric items designed by leading French Art Deco designer at the top end of their line.  They're the sort of pieces you only see in books or museums.
Robert

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sorry, you lost me there ;)  -  but just in case anyone else thinks of Belgium I have looked throught the VSL catalogue on Pamela's masterbuchs - as I thought there seemed some possible similarity with VSL's cut pieces from the 1940 -50 period.        However, didn't see it there.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Paul, was this the bowl that reminded you of Whitefriars originally? The links seem to no longer work, however, seem ok, when pasted into your browser. Appreciate there are differences, however, thought It may prove of some use. Although, no definitive conclusion, I think there was a lean towards Czech.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37331.0.html

Also images in the link below:

http://www.whitefriars.com/whitefriars_glass/356.html

Offline scavo

• Members
Penny has dropped. Memphis. I failed to see the mention of Scottsass or the item description. Now I clearly see a link is even more unlikely between the two pieces.  I do now however, understand the astronomical price.

I must say I prefer this rather understated piece to the vulgar (IMO) Memphis stuff of the '80s to which I was obliquely referencing without knowing the concrete link. But if I had the money to buy a Scottsass piece, it would probably be in the latter, more obvious category!

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
ast couple of photographs its very hard to photograph for me it has some etching to the ends quite well made, One day something will turn up and it will have a label or a mark!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand