No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely wine glass fantastic decoration any ideas of maker/country???  (Read 700 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Really curious about this wine glass it appears to be brand new but has plenty of good quaity things and it intrigues me id love to have any views on this piece as to its manufacturer, It has a small polished pontil scar to base no wear at all around the scar is a circle of etched small circles the stem is very nicely formed with very tight finns up to the bowl which has a combination of pall mall type edwardian tranfer type decoration and some which appears a little deeper mainly the leafs and roots it measures 83mm tall rim is 80mm and foot is 75mm. Does appear to be ead crystal as it has that greyish hue and it rings for britain when tingged with a finger nail, Thanks for looking :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Lovely wine glass fantastic decoration any ideas of maker/country???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »
That's lovely. Looks hand engraved to me and not new. Can we see the base please.  (PS nice fingerprints!  ;) )

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
 :clap:
Really im chuffed if its been done by hand, Thought it looked good quality and it only cost a couple of pounds so im gonna enjoy it for a while as its just one glass and not a set, I was hoping it might have been edwardian??
heres the base..

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
Really good quality work, and I can see striations in the metal - this looks to have good age to me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
Sure you dont mean finger prints in the glass :clap:
Glad you think its good, wonder how long a glass would take like this one to produce..
I think my eye sight is very good but i woud have thought it would take me years to learn the control required to do this type of work...
Amasing hand eye co-ordination etc... :thup:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
quote from Lustrousstone............."(PS nice fingerprints!   )"..............so that's why they're called 'printies' :24: :24:    sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Lovely, lovely glass!   :thup:  This is just the sort of thing that I collect, and yes, you can still find them for a couple of quid, if you're lucky.  Well done!  :cheers:

I would say you're right it's Edwardian, and I think the polished out pontil mark and the engraving on the foot is usually a sign of a good 'un. 

Well done on the photo's too (in spite of finger marks  ;D )  I know how difficult getting good pics of this sort of engraved glass can be! 

I'm very  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:   
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
it looks very attractive - and assume you've been looking through Hajdamach in view of your comments about Pall Mall machine etched designs - which this certainly isn't   -    though some aspects of the design seem unusual for the Edwardian period.
The 'snail shell' stem is a Victorian style, and despite looking through Hajdamach I can't find a single glass from the Edwardian era with a similar stem  -  then there's the engraving of ivy  -  vy and convolvulus were, apparently, more typical of the 1850 ish period.
If the foot is flat then there should be some evident wear after 100 years, unless the glass stands on the very outside edge of the foot.
Try using the u.v. torch and see whether you get a slightly greenish/grey response, or perhaps slightly pink which might indicate it's more modern.   
In the mid 1930's, companies like Hill Ouston sourced glasses from Walsh and S&W and produced cut and engraved decoration from earlier styles  -  just wondering if that sort of thing might be a possibility.
Nonetheless, a great glass for two quid  -  now where is it that you shop......... :)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
Firstly thanks very much for the reply its very interesting and brilliant :thup:
Ive looked at the base it does appear flat  there is three spots to the rim of the base of the foot which under very strong magnifying lens show signs of the back and too scratches but each of the three spots is very narrow, The uv torch isnt to hand wil try and post about this tommorow i see what you mean i did look through hajdamachs and saw similar designs being more victorian but never thought it possible i guess it may have sat in a cabinet for years??
It is a cool glass. :X:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand