No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: handblown small Romer /Roemer handtrailed,notched trail,raspberry prunts - help  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
You can't really treat glass like clay. It might be possible to create something by hand by lampworking, but that requires a different sort of glass and is too labour intensive. It would also come out less even. If it's spiral on the inside too then it's moulded. There is no reason why you shouldn't have a beginning and an end moulded in. I'll check my roemers when I get home.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok I see!  thanks  :)  Just for the record though, it has no mould lines but I guess there wouldn't be with the cone shape?
It's similar to this one here, but the foot is not splayed at the bottom and mine only has one notched trail.  But then mine is smaller I guess so perhaps that accounts for the slight difference in design?  not sure  :-\
this one is apparently identical to one slightly larger and which is id'd as form 490/II 13.3cm high (mine is only 9cm high)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Theresienthal-Romer-grunstichiges-Glas-Uranglas-um-1900-/120878783203?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item1c24efdae3
Will keep looking and thanks for checking yours.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Theresienthaler

• Author
  • Members
    • Roemer aus Theresienthal
Hello,

just my two cents:
Don`t attribute this roemer to Theresienthal. In my opinion it is not the coulour of glass they used to work with. It looks like a roemer from the Rheinische Glashütten AG Köln-Ehrenfeld but to make an attribution without holding this item in my hands would not be more than a guess. An educated guess perhaps but still a guess.
Kind regards

Stephan

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Stephan thank you for looking in and your observations which are much appreciated :)   I have a set of Koln Ehrenfeld glasses but the colour is very different - I have attached two pictures to show the comparison as best I can.
The difference I can see is that the rim of the romer is cut, bevelled both sides and polished, which seems strange to me.  It's incredibly smooth and beautifully done, but weird to have the rim of a glass like that not firepolished? The hock glasses are firepolished as far as I can see.  Both types are incredibly fine, delicate glass. 
I shall do some more searching on Koln Ehrenfeld and RG and see what I can find.  Thank you.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :o don't ask me how I found this...I just clicked on a link from something and there it was
in a gallery in the Czech Republic I think.
Is this what mine is possibly? 
Name: Thewalt from Rheinische Glashutten AG Koln Ehrenfeld date 1886
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/09434/A52B6CBD91E192715A8F9506455FE945928B33DB.html?start=10

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have found a museum catalogue reference that I think says this design is
Ausfuhrung 1892 in 'Helles gelbrgunes glas' (the 'u' should have a double dot on the top) - translates as 'bright yellow-green glass' - Koln Ehrenfeld 1886
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sorry I should have added this earlier, both the reference matches the size of my romer/roemer of 9cm in height.
So I do think that unless someone has been reproducing this romer, then this is a match to mine.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
and I presume the ones I've linked to (and hopefully my piece) are late 19th c copies of this one
which is also 9cm
http://ancientglass.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/shallow-roemer-wald-glass/
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok, there's been a resounding silence to my links  ;D
so questions then -
1)  Can I presume that so far as known, only Rheinische Glashutten AG Koln Erhenfeld were the  maker of this Thewalt roemer ?
2) The Thewalt roemer is a 19th c reproduction of a much earlier roemer?
3)  If that is the supposed case,  would my roemer either be, a) an original much earlier one like the one I linked to on the Wordpress site - unlikely I know but I'm just trying to cross off possibles :)
or b)  a  Rheinische Glashutten AG Koln Ehrenfeld Thewalt roemer dated 1886

3) If not, is it likely that mine could be a much more recent i,e. late 20th. early 21st century reproduction of the 17th c. piece?

4) or are we down to no way of knowing unless I show it physically to someone now?

I have found with great difficulty, a) a number of 'reproduction' roemers, but unfortunately I was not sure whether they were 19th c classed as 'reproduction 17thc' roemers, or more recently produced.  None of which were like mine so nothing further on what I already have.
And b) an American site selling newly reproduced reproduction roemers, again none the same as mine so nothing further on that.

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Posting these for comparison.....  I have these two pieces. Originally I had 4 which were all slightly different. They were purchased at an auction many years ago and came out of a high end estate. They had with them, which I still have somewhere, an original bill of sale for the 4 from a European dealer indicating that they were quite early Roemers  ca. late 16th or early 17th century.  They were purchased in the 50's according to the receipt. The glass on them does look rather early and the production of them is not what I would refer to as refined.....  I sold 2 of them over the years and have hung on to these two.  They are quite light as far as the weight goes....  Never really knew if they were really that old or not.... I was about the only one at the auction with an interest in them so they came pretty cheap....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand