No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ???? Millefiori ball ????  (Read 1150 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
???? Millefiori ball ????
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
Hi there:
Found this item.  Not sure was it is.  Has a hoop on the top for like hanging it but then it has a base on it - almost like an Xmas Ball or something.    The whole item is hollow.  Maybe *just* made as a decorative piece?  Anyways, it is about 6 inches tall and is Millefiori.  But is IT Murano or not?    I am not sure.  IF I were to guess *maybe* real murano BUT a newer souvenir type of piece in the Millefiori way.  Anyone seen these, or know what they are?  Or if it IS real Murano?

Looks better than Chinese, IMHO...but that is my opinion  ???  So I dunno ??  ;D  Thanks
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline isleofwight collector

• Members
Re: ???? Millefiori ball ????
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
It looks very well made and I thought it may be a xmas decoration or could it be a very nice wasp catcher??

It seems too nice to be used as a wasp catcher but I have owned & seen a few coloured glass ones with a similar little loop at the top and open base to allow the wasps inside.
With it having the open base it's not the usual cheap chinese decorative balls you can buy from the high street.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »
It looks very well made and I thought it may be a xmas decoration or could it be a very nice wasp catcher??

It seems too nice to be used as a wasp catcher but I have owned & seen a few coloured glass ones with a similar little loop at the top and open base to allow the wasps inside.
With it having the open base it's not the usual cheap chinese decorative balls you can buy from the high street.

I have no idea either -- maybe just a decorative ball with its own stand.....have No clue

Yes, I think better made than Chinese, IMHO.......or hoping it is at least....LOL

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »

Thanks for the Reply.....I can only think that it is a take on a Paperweight//Xmas Ornament//with own glass stand.  Maybe just decorative, I guess.  I still think it is better made.  Could this be a newer souvenir piece maybe from Murano?  Has anyone been inside the stores and recall seeing anything like this at all?

Maybe a Wasp ball -- but too pretty to use for that I would think......?? ...... ?? ......??  LOL

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
It may have had a glass stand where you can hang several balls from it. There's one on... http://liviocampanella.com/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,1/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,31/vmcchk,1/

...but they are different so i don't know.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Will (Richard) Shakspeare of Shakspeare Glass in Taunton, Somerset also makes baubles, (not that I am suggesting it is one of his),  but his website shows some of his work. I have never seen one with a foot before.
http://shakspeareglass.co.uk

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
Thanks Bubbles for your reply.

I do not even know what to call this when googling around on the Net ( LOL and ?? ).  Any input on this item IS greatly appreciated.  Do you think the canes look well made -- or not?   IYHO ?

Thanks   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand