No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Machine threaded decanter. Richardson?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
Machine threaded decanter. Richardson?
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
Hello all

Could someone please help me identify who made this decanter, if I had to have a stab at identity I would say Richardson. Threading is machine done, as I believe is the etching, it has a small polished button pontil to the base.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Machine threaded decanter. Richardson?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
It's machine threaded, but it looks engraved not etched, which probably means manual, as it looks late 19th C

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Sorry my mistake. I still think there is some kind of automation there, stencils a la Northwood, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Steve

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
I'd have been inclined to agree with Lustrousstone re the method of decoration.    I've seen shed loads of British machine etched pieces, and you get to recognize the format/style after a while  -  thinnish lines etc., not broad areas of engraving like this one, which appears to have a typical matt finish where the wheel was used.    The answer might be to look for irregularities in the pattern  -  working on the assumption that a machine will give a design that is perfect without any variation.    If you find differences in size of similar parts of the pattern, that might indicate hand engraved.       Could be wrong of course, and this might be an example of some very unusual machine creation.   Try using a lens to see if wheel marks can be seen.         A very nice piece by the way.
I had an idea that even the threading isn't totally machine made  -  if you look at pictures of how this was produced, I'm sure I've seen one guy holding the end of the thread and another turning the article.   At least I think that's how I remember the process. 

I've included a couple of pix showing wheel engraving (the pint glass) and standard machine etching (the sherry or liqueur or whatever) - hope you don't mind these being added to your thread.    Regrettably, I don't know the country of origin of either, but certainly European I believe.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
Paul
Thank you for your post and the pictures were very useful. OK, the engraving is hand done, but my what a steady hand. Really I shouldn't have been trying to under estimate the decanter I suppose. Would still love to know a maker if anyone can be of help.
Regards
Steve

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
there is a jug and tumbler in Gulliver's  Victorian Decorative Glass page 243 that looks to use the threading, the clear space and the rigaree around the neck under the threading in a similar way to yours - it was manufactured 1878 by Hodgetts, Richardson and Son. It is a turquoise threading.
m

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »
Thank you for your response. It was the similarity to a jug P280 British Glass 1800-1914 Hajdamach that made me think of Hodgetts Richardson, but the threading is a different colour. I am sure someone has the definitive answer.
Regards
Steve

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
on page 117 of Charles Hajdamach's British Glass 1800-1914 there is a two handled vase with the rigaree and the trailing.  It's in black and white and no colour description but it looks very like your piece in terms of how it was made somehow.
Made by Richardson 1878 Paris Exhibition.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
For further reference
on Page 244 and 245 of Gulliver's Victorian Decorative Glass there are two jugs, threaded,one with amber on clear one with turquoise on clear and both have a section of engraved glass between the threading around the neck and the base both id'd as Hodgetts, Richardson & Son c1877. 
Then on page 114 there is a vase with blue threading that looks the same colour as yours and is also id'd as Hodgetts, Richardson and Son pattern no 6953 c 1880.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand