No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Coquille Flygsfors - Designer, Date, Rarity and Value?  (Read 882 times)

Offline Pladdy

• Members
Coquille Flygsfors - Designer, Date, Rarity and Value?
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:25:39 AM »
Hi,

I picked up a piece this weekend and am hoping this board will be able to provide some additional information.  It's marked with a sticker that says Coquille Flygsfors and has the same signature on the bottom.  It's 10.75" tall, 2.25" at the base and about 3.5" at the widest part.  I'm not sure if it's a vase, or just art glass...there are two hollow areas in the base that could, I suppose, each hold a small stem.  I tried it, though, and it looks a little strange with flowers in there. 

As I searched through this board, it seemed that Paul Kedelv was the designer for most of these pieces...would he have been the designer of this piece?  Is there any way to estimate the date of manufacture?

I looked through what seemed to be hundred of images in a few different Google searches, but didn't see any other Coquille Flygsflors pieces of this shape.  I'm ready to admit that my search may not have been complete enough, but I do wonder know if this might be a more unusual shape for this line.  Any thoughts?

Lastly, I'm wondering if anyone would have a rough estimation of the value or a range of values perhaps.

Thanks so much,

Pladdy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Coquille Flygsfors - Designer, Date, Rarity and Value?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »
The usual interpretation is that Kedelv's name was on Coquille pieces until he left Flygsfors in 1956. After he left, his name was not included on the bottom but the date still was. I've got a few pieces of Coquille as I like the line, but I've never seen anything like this before. Coquille is still sought after, if perhaps a little less so than a couple of years ago, so I would would imagine that this piece would fetch somewhere around the top of the market price. I can't say if Kedelv designed this piece.

Coquille "vases" tend not to be functional, in the same way that Sarpaneva's Orchid vase is not functional.  It was glass as art and no apologies. That's one of the reasons I like Kedelv's stuff.

Great find. Congratulations.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
I agree - a spectacular find.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Pladdy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »
Thanks for the great information and the kind words.

I've done some more searching over the past few days and though I've seen some truly beautiful glass out there I still haven't found an image of this particular piece on any website yet.  I'm thinking it's at least scarce, if not rare.  However, it doesn't fit with my current collecting interests so much and space is at a premium in my display cabinet so I'll probably be listing it on eBay soon.  Hopefully it'll find a good home somewhere.

Pladdy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:14:34 AM »
Pladdy, you may not have seen the following site that is associated with the GMB.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=543&page=1

The glass gallery is free to join(register) and there are no labels shown for Flygsfors Coquille in the Swedish Label section.  It would be great if you put a copy of that photo in there.  You could also create you own gallery(s) and show us some of your own collection.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand