Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Scandinavian Glass

Help with Finnish pronunciation

(1/2) > >>

gfirob:
Would some Finnish speaker please help me out with the correct pronunciation of these names, in English (phonetic) spelling? 

Nuutajarvi Notsjo
Is it pronounced
Nut-ah-jar-vey?
or
Noot-uh-yar-way?
or something else?

Is Notsjo pronounced
Nosyo?
Nots-joe
or something else?

Iittala
is it:
ee-tal-ah?
or
eye-tal-ah?
or something else?

And is Kaj Franck's first name pronounced "Kaj" or "Kai" or something else?

This must sound like a very stupid question to someone from Finland, but I'd appreciate any help at all.  I have embarrassed myself in Sweden several times asking for things with brutally incorrected pronunciation.

Thanks from a limited single-language person.

Rob

Ivo:
The uu in Nuutajärvi is a stretched ooh - and the ä is pronounced e as in bed. [nootajervi]
Notsjö  has an Umlaut - so that is the eu sound from French [notsheu]
Ii is s stretched i - so it is pronounced [eetallah]
Kaj is just that - kai or kaj, no difference.

Ivo [ee:voh]

Anne:
Rob, this might help: http://glasspeak.yobunny.org.uk/ compiled with help from members of the board here.

gfirob:
Thanks so much to both of you for this quick response.  I already feel much less stupid [stoo-ped].
Rob

px:
Rob, I am so happy to see someone wants to pronounce Finnish correctly. :)
Ivo already gave good advice, I can only be a little more precise:
"The uu in Nuutajärvi is a stretched ooh - and the ä is pronounced e as in bed. [nootajervi]"
Actually the ä is pronounced exactly like in "bad" and the j like the word "you" begins.
[nooh-ta-yär-vi] ? :)

Notsjö  has an Umlaut - so that is the eu sound from French [notsheu]
Notsjö is Nuutajärvi in Swedish. (both languages used in Finland)
the ö in the end is like if you doubt and say "errrrr..."  :P  And begins like Nuutajärvi, so:
[nooh-t-sher] (forget the r from the end tho) :)

Kaj is not Kay, so to be sure... [Kah-ee] but very short! :) and btw the Franck is not with ä ! so you should say [Fr-aah-nck] but very shortly! :)

I will have to take this opportunity to correct at least this from http://glasspeak.yobunny.org.uk/
Riihimäen Lasi Oy would be [Ree-he-mäh-en] (the ä like in "bad" remember?) [Lah-see] [OO UU] (where there's a long single vocal  "o" from the beginnin of "oh" and a long single vocal from the end of "you", so you are better off even if you say "oh you" :) rather than oi) :)
(O.Y. is simply short from  "Osakeyhtiö" meaning company like Ltd.)

Now you're ready to mingle and be mistaken for a Finn!!?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version