No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: eBay Flygsfors. ID = Leerdam, "Unica"  (Read 2652 times)

Offline mixagemme

• Members
eBay Flygsfors. ID = Leerdam, "Unica"
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
I have recently acquired a lovely wee vase via eBay (Item number: 230770967179). It was advertised as Flygsfors, but the markings on the base are not as I would expect. The writing is rather illegible and is on the polished pontil rather than the edge. There is a model number (MA 443) which I have never seen on Flygsfors. What appears to be "Flygsfors" is scrawled centrally, although the more I look at it, the more I doubt it, and what appears to be a signature is scribed at the edge. Any clues? If it is Flygsfors, what are the possibilities for the designer, outwith the main two? Is it possibly dated after the take over of the company by Orrefors? Can't find the number in the usual Orrefors places.

Thanks for your time and consideration

[Mod: Michael has requested removal of the pic as it was a copy from the eBay listing]
michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: eBay Flygsfors
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
Can you post photos of the base and engraved marks?

For close up photos you will need the macro function on your camera - press the button with a small flower icon. Sorry if I am stating the obvious...

If the photo of the vase is not yours you will need permission from the seller to post it here - copyright issues and all that.

John

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
I would suggest it probably says Leerdam unica F Meydam MA 443, in which case you made a very good buy- here's hoping

Gareth

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »
wow

Offline mixagemme

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
Gareth, that is indeed what it is! I thought the second word on the edge was "unica" but couldn't be sure. The rest of the script fits perfectly with your suggestion. Can you give me any background on the piece? I will try some personal research right now!

Thanks for your time

michael
michael

Offline mixagemme

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the offer John, but I think Gareth got it right. Sorry about the photo, won't do it again, just didn't think. Can it be removed?

michael

michael

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »
MA dates from 1957 and in that year there were 3101 produced.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Michael,

here's a good source of recent items sold - look through the recent (choose Leerdam as the manufacturer).
http://www.botterweg.com/Home/tabid/61/language/en-US/Default.aspx
As unique pieces, the prices do jump up and down, and any cracks/significant chips will knock £££ off the price - search around and see if you can find one equally as attractive as yours
good luck, maybe this will start you down the Leerdam collectors route (hint, this isn't the first Leerdam that's been listed on ebay as Flysgfors - so was this below - AM 1711)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand