No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any info regarding this light shade would be great  (Read 1637 times)

Offline mpdrip

• Members
Any info regarding this light shade would be great
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:21:36 PM »
Its a Wynyates Ware multi colored lead glass light shade from I believe areound the 1930's. Any idea of value? Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Any info regarding this light shade would be great
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
hello - and welcome to the GMB..........sorry that no one has yet responded to your request - the reason being that it's not a general policy on this board to discuss values.     Regret I know nothing of your light shade, although by the looks of things you appear to know at least the maker and approximate age, and can only suggest that you search ebay, auction house records or the general antiques trade, for some guide to a commercial value.    You may be asking for re-sale reasons or possibly insurance purposes - although you don't say.
The value of anything is very much a personal thing  -  some pieces have a greater or lesser value depending on which side of the pond you might be - not sure where on the globe you are.        You might contact a dealer in deco light fittings/shades, or someone who deals in domestic wares from that period.
It's not that we try to avoid the subject of shades - just, as I say, that values are too much of a subjective matter to have any hard and fast rules.             Try ebay with a reserve perhaps, and see what happens. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mpdrip

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks Paul for the kind response. I certainly understand that, practically speaking, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. I have looked around pretty extensively and found very little info about this light. I'm assuming what little I did find was accurate but who really knows. I guess, aside from an idea on value, I was also looking for some idea of whether the information I discovered was accurate. I am really more curious than anything. I don't think this light has any great value but I'm just trying to find out as much about it as I can. Thanks again. Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
I can't add any info, sorry.
My vague thoughts and spoutings are:- 

I really love these lantern shades - they're absolutely perfect for a lobby. I have one I brought from my family home, but it's only a plastic reproduction of one of the real things. I also know that the plastic reproduction one was in my family home from around the late '50s.

They say; "Home's here - welcome!", to me.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Hello Mike....I have one of these in the loft taken from my late parents cottage in Dorset,  so although I know nothing at all about it except, that as Sue says,  they throw a most welcoming light on the front step of a home, I will be very interested in any further information that might come to light. (Excuse the pun!)

I can't believe that I have never thought to try and research it, but I had completely forgotten about it until you raised this thread.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline mpdrip

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind replies. Your forum is really neat which as you all know is unusual for an internet forum. Thanks again!
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
Light shades can be one of the worst things to try to identify - because of their practical essentials, they tend not to be part of standard production ranges and marked in any "normal" way - if the maker marked their normal wares at all.

The upside, when it comes to selling, is that they tend to make their own price/value anyway - they are practical, decorative and desirable.

If I owned your shade, it would be hanging in my lobby instead of the plastic one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
I think the rustic chunky nuggets of coloured glass give these lanterns an almost 'thrown together from scraps we had' appearance,  a bit like the rag rugs (made from strips of old woollen garments) laid in front of a blazing log fire on a cold winters night.....comforting, homely and as Sue has said, practical.
I can feel a trip into the attic (or is it loft!?) to try to retrieve mine and have another look at it...It won't get put up in the house because this house is too modern....it did look lovely in our old house though....it was an Arts & Crafts house and I loved it......we have been here nine and  half years and I still haven't really gelled with it.  :'(
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand