No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano bird ID on maker / factory please  (Read 513 times)

Offline user9318

• Members
Murano bird ID on maker / factory please
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
Trying to ID the maker of this (I was told) very lovely Murano bird (bird of paradise I think). It stands 11" tall approximately

I have tried searching here and on the web etc with no luck, not found anything exactly the same.

Thanks in advance

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Re: Murano bird ID on maker / factory please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Here is avery similar reputed to be Seguso piece on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVELY-MURANO-SEGUSO-ALABASTRO-ART-GLASS-DUCK-BIRD-ANIMAL-GREY-WHITE-FLYING-/380429794265?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item589361fbd9 It is Murano I feel and could be Seguso with a mixture of alabastro and clear glass - but I'm no expert on Murano animals so someone else will be able to tell you for sure.

Thanks Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »
Thanks Adam for the reply.

I had looked at Seguso as a possibility after looking at the Murano zoo web site (I think this is TXsilver's site" as there was a similarity in style / colour to the one I have, but, again, not found an exact match!

I shall keep searching.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »
The style of your bird looks like AVeM to me, but I don't know. AVeM made many birds that had the front of the crest that went down in a ridge to the bill like yours does. The shape of the body also reminds me of AVeM. I had a dog that they made that had the vanilla alabastro accents. AVeM would be my first guess for your bird, but with seeing one with a label, I don't know.

The "Seguso" bird in the link doesn't look like Seguso or Archimede Seguso to me. Some people call anything that has alabastro-like glass Seguso.

I like the tail of your bird. It is a good looking bird. If it is AVeM, it is one of the best that I've seen by them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »
Thank you Anita for your reply.

I never even thought of AVeM as a possibility, I will continue my search looking at AVeM pieces to compare.

It is a lovely bird, as soon as I saw it, I had to buy it!

Thanks again for the info

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand