No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green & clear epergne + tadpole style pattern / peacock eye trail style  (Read 2399 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Re: Green and clear epergne with tadpole style pattern
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
Looking around Stuart & Sons did a lot of this peacock eye design, not only in two colour "eyes" but also in single colour and clear.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
Sorry it's difficult to tell from your photos how the 'eye' and trail were done?  is it an applied blob with the trail, or does it have a blob in the middle of a circle of glass which is pulled down into a trail? or it is an indented oval shape with a trail that comes off it?
None of which answers would make it any clearer to me who did it, but knowing how the trail and eye were done may help in the future.
I think Stuart did a kind of plainer blob eye and trail but it's only a guess that the catalogue pics I have are Stuart.  And I don't have any of this epergne unfortunately, they are all pics of vases.
Stevens and Williams also did do an applied eye and trail type thing.

If I get a chance I'll take some pics of the trails on my 'peacock eye ' pieces which are all different.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
...   Stevens and Williams also did do an applied eye and trail type thing.   ...

How do you know?   If it's from a publication, either I've missed it or I don't have the publication.   I'd be most grateful for enlightenment as I try to keep my little library as up-to-date as possible.

heartofsklo — Any chance of some photographs of the two rim crimps from above, please.   It's difficult making them out from a side view.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
As requested, two images of the rim crimping, the bowl is more rounded and the trumpet is flattened/oval.
The 'eye' is a blob which has been trailed down the stem.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
Bernard I quoted the pattern numbers extensively in a previous thread where I also asked for information regarding Walsh and Stevens and Williams I believe, but unfortunately no one replied to my thread.
Stevens and Williams did a type of eye and trail and on pieces with a crimped rim as I recall.  Although I cannot say if the crimp was the same as on this epergne as I've no time to look at the moment (kids home, footie/swimming lessons etc)  :) I'll try and get a look later.
m

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »
flying free - On a quick search for "Stevens and Williams tadpole glass" within google, on the images tab there are two images of such a piece signed "S&W" attributed to them. Although, the decoration does look heavier and more clumbsy in a way than the epergne, this might be because it is a small piece.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
Nice, and thanks for the link :) They are not the same as the trailed peacock eye ones that I have seen from the pattern books drawings though.  One of those is similar to your epergne I recall but I'm sure it was coloured whereas yours aren't.  Keep looking though, but I do think it may be quite hard to define the maker, but you will find some beautiful applied trail pieces en-route so it is worth it  :)
I'll keep an eye out and see if I spot anything similar in books etc.  I have a whole load on order from the library so I'll remember to look.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
I don't have any new information to add on this thread unfortunately, however would you object if the mods were asked to add
'peacock eye trail style' to the subject heading?
It just makes it easier to search for the subject and find the epergne in case something useful comes up in the future :)
thanks
m

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Not at all flying free  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK