No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass raised mark, any ideas??  (Read 6708 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Glass raised mark, any ideas??
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
Hi there:

Have not taken pics yet (as the sun is shinning here too) but was wondering IF anyone knew of a mark that is a C with an H inside it (plus a dot at the bottom of the H)??  I am not finding anything here.  It is a large ruffled like bowl.  Any directions on this mark *pending* my delay on the pics?

Will get some pics taken later today ....but going to enjoy the Sun a bit too

Thanks
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Glass raised mark, any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
Gee....was goggling and could not find anything.  Kinda reminds me of Rossi Glass.  Then I remember seeing something like the same color on Chalet Glass......and the C and the H would fit that....right.

So just check out CHALET GLASS......and found the same mark as I just posted here.  My item is the same color as this too (but way different as a bowl).  But I see that Chalet Glass was marked CH by this item.  See the very first item there with the CH mark......so I guess I have a rarer piece of Chalet glass that is marked.....Yipee.

http://www.chaletvintageartglass.com/#!__greens

Will get the pics here today.....and the mark posted.

Gee, I wondered about Chalet......but googling the mark I got nothing!

Anyways looks like I solved it (I believe) even before I got the pics taken.  I just got it yesterday (via the mail)  :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Glass raised mark, any ideas?? CHLXXI - Chalet
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:01:30 AM »
Hi there:

Pics now posted of the item here...... 

It is quite large IMHO, as about 7 inches tall.....and about 12 inches wide.  Olive in color ruffled.  The pictures do not do justice of the Size of it.  Will post another few pics of the mark as I had a hard time seeing it (finding it myself).

According to Chalet Glass Site...this color (and mark) is Rare for Chalet -- But is Chalet!!

I would have never know this was Chalet Glass.  Fooled me!!

;)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Glass raised mark, any ideas?? CHLXXI - Chalet
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:30:12 AM »
Here are pics of the mark -- I guess a first time this Mark for Chalet is posted.....as no where is there an image of this mark for Chalet.  It is mentioned on Deborah site.  So a first for GMB (and alot of us Canadians) as there is so little on the Net about this mark -- and nor are they any true Examples (pics) of it. 

Raised *C* with an *H* inside it.  Also has a dot just at the bottom of the H.  Under the *CH* are the Roman Numerals of: LXXI

Was hard to see (honest) and even now I still have to *look* for it.  Had a hard time getting just a clear shot of it -- so I smudged some tooth paste over it as powder kept coming off when I tried that.  So I figured I would use tooth paste and smudge it over the mark to get a better shot.

Hey.............whatever works !!!   LOL  ;D

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »
Deborah.......you there for this Chalet piece ??

Thanks

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
Hi Rose,

Was brain dead and couldn't find your posts until now. Yes - that's Chalet. The mark CH is quite common on the "ribbed" Heritage Glass line but the mark you have with the CH and then the year 1971 in Roman Numerals is very rare. I have never seen it on this type of dish before - very lovely piece. I have only seen on quite a few of the cornucopiae.  It can also be on the top of the footed base. There is a section on my site called "Chalet Marks and Product Lines" in the "About Chalet" pages that covers all the Chalet markings - you may find it useful. Plus I am just finishing up the revisions on the updated "Chalet Marks, Labels and Product Lines" reference guide.

Re the Roman Numeral marking - supposedly it was also done for the year 1972 but I have never seen one of those. It was also done in the neck of the crystal wine bottles (not the olive) but I have never seen one of those either.

I have posted here a picture of the cornucopia with that mark on the top of the lobed pedestal base.

Great find Rose - I envy you that bowl.

Deborah
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
Thank you so much Deborah.   :-*

It is quite the size as the pictures still not do it justice for the Size!! Being Canadian I only have learned this information from your research.  I would have never thought this was Chalet before your work.  It does not have that usual Chalet look to it.  The mark was very hard to see on the foot as it just did not jump out.  Even now that I KNOW it is marked, I have to still look for it and it is not a small mark either.  Just really seems to blend in with everything else of the design of the foot (the thatched pattern in the foot).  I took a chance on it since it was marked.  Again I want to Thank you for your valuable research in the Chalet Glass as again I would have never know this was Chalet (if not for you) and I am sure many others would not believe it either.

Did these that were marked with the CHLXXI only come in the olive green color?  I guess because of the texture an Chalet stamp would not work on this like the other *smooth* glass ones.  Have you ever seen one of these with a Chalet label on them yet......

Pretty Glad I found this piece -- and again I took a chance. 

Thank you (from one Canadian to another) for doing the research you have done!!  It has been invaluable all the work you have done and bringing so much more info forward!!

:-*

Guess a positive ID can be added to the Title post now.....

Offline chaletvintageartglass

• Members
    • Chalet Vintage Art Glass Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
Hi Rose,

Thank you for your comments - I appreciate the kind words.

I have seen the CH on cranberry, amber, blue and believe it or not - ribbed orange. I have never seen the year dating on anything else but green. However, I know it was placed in the neck of the crystal wine bottles (I assume those were for Riekesand/or N.C. Cameron distribution like the other crystal pieces) but I have never even seen a picture of what those wine bottles look like. But as Maestro Guarnieri says "Never pass something by without checking."

I have seen the ribbed pieces marked with a hang tag, the Chalet lead sticker label and a footed bowl with a "Made in Canada" label - the one you see on Lorraine pieces. Given Chalet's propensity for lax marking when they got busy - nothing would surprise me although I still am surprised at being surprised!LOL

t
Deborah (chaletvintageartglass)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand