No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RETRO Lidded Glass - Foil label (Silver and Teal Blue) - ID = Enchant glassware  (Read 8029 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Hi, I am assuming this to be from the Retro/Eames period (IMHO) by the looks of it.  Hand-painted (as stated on the label) and has Gold streaks on it around the leaves.  There is a foil label in the colors of Silver and Teal Blue --  on it but I am not finding much info on it.  Lidded, and footed base.

Will add size of it (asap) ... as forgot to do that.  Any info on the maker, the age, or anything at all...

Thanks ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: RETRO Lidded Glass - Foil label (Silver and Teal Blue)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
IMHO, it looks like it says:

Hand Painted
ENCHANT
Ware
Kenneth M. Smith
Leaside

But not finding much info.....of any sort ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Anchor-Hocking-Chip-Dip-Set-Blue-Enchant-Ware-/360384233331

I suggest Anchor Hocking for the glass and Kenneth Smith for the decoration. Googling leads to a lot of auction dead ends that all seem to involve Anchor Hocking

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I think Anchor-Hocking is a likely suspect, but other USA firms (esp. those in the Weston, West Virginia, area) made items that are very similar (blunt finial, slight taper to the sides, etc.). The nice foil label is a good clue, too. Fenton began using foil labels in the mid-1940s, and I see such labels on lots of glassware from the 1950s. 
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
Thank you Lustrousstone and  jsmeasell for your info.   :-*

You know me when I find something with a label on it ...I have to buy it for the GMB board just in case I have found a missing link to something in the Glass World.....LOL.   ;)

Not sure if this is a missing link but always great to find a label to help educate us even moreso, or to see a label we may have not seen before....or can't find a thing on the Net.  This piece sure screams Retro to me and in Super Condition. 

I think I might use it in my bathroom to hold cotton Q-tips -- as it would work Super For that -- Plus it has a Nice clean Design!!

;D

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Hello

"Enchant Ware" trademark was filed October 25, 1960, registered August 8, 1961 and inactivated in July 1994. The registration was for use with "table glassware, and glass tumblers in carriers".  First use was reported as at least as early as June 25, 1959.  This is the first label I have seen.

The Kenneth M. Smith Co. was a glass decorating firm located in Leaside, Ontario, Canada.  I am pretty sure that the firm started out as York Glass Company, Limited because Kenneth M. Smith was also the owner of this firm and in 1939 it was located at the same address as the Kenneth M. Smith Co.  They did some nice sandblast/engraving work during the early war years (1940s) but I can't find much between then and the Enchant Ware.

A point of trivia - Ian Tyson was employed by Kenneth M. Smith Co. to "design peanut butter jars and all that stuff..." before his singing career with Sylvia Fricker took off.

Sid

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:23:01 AM »
Hello

"Enchant Ware" trademark was filed October 25, 1960, registered August 8, 1961 and inactivated in July 1994. The registration was for use with "table glassware, and glass tumblers in carriers".  First use was reported as at least as early as June 25, 1959.  This is the first label I have seen.

The Kenneth M. Smith Co. was a glass decorating firm located in Leaside, Ontario, Canada.  I am pretty sure that the firm started out as York Glass Company, Limited because Kenneth M. Smith was also the owner of this firm and in 1939 it was located at the same address as the Kenneth M. Smith Co.  They did some nice sandblast/engraving work during the early war years (1940s) but I can't find much between then and the Enchant Ware.

A point of trivia - Ian Tyson was employed by Kenneth M. Smith Co. to "design peanut butter jars and all that stuff..." before his singing career with Sylvia Fricker took off.

Sid

WOW Sid -- Thanks for the GREAT info there!!   :-*

Not sure if you collect/use labels in your research etc -- But if you want to have a Copy of this label for your info/records there -- you may do so since you stated this is the first time you have seen the label.

...........I never knew that about Ian Tyson (the Canadian singer) that he worked there so yes a neat piece of info.

So this is not Anchor Hocking glass then.....??

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:36 AM »
Rose

Thanks for the permission to use your photo of the label.  I certainly do make use of labels in my research.

[So this is not Anchor Hocking glass then.....??

I really can't say who made this glass.  Apparently Anchor Hocking was one supplier but I don't know if that was an exclusive arrangement or not.  There is a lot that we don't know about this firm!

Sid

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
Rose

Thanks for the permission to use your photo of the label.  I certainly do make use of labels in my research.

No problem.  Glad I stumbled upon this and can assist in any way possible with your Research!   ;)

Sure is good that some people never ever removed labels off items!!  They are helping us too!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand